Goliath Grouper

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Goliath Grouper

Post by Dubble Trubble »

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Some- ... 83881.html

This brings up a question in my feeble little mind. Has anyone ever actually tasted these critters? Is the meat worth harvesting the fish?

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
EddieJoe

Re: Goliath Grouper

Post by EddieJoe »

Dubble Trubble wrote:http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Some- ... 83881.html

This brings up a question in my feeble little mind. Has anyone ever actually tasted these critters? Is the meat worth harvesting the fish?

Dubble :thumbup:
The little ones are similar to any other grouper. Large ones have a lot of worms and the flesh is more coarse, but certainly edible. Last time I ate one was in the 60's, when we power headed one about 250 lbs. I wouldn't say the food quality drops off as much as a big black drum does when compared with a small one, but memory isn't perfect.
I'd hesitate to kill a big one for the meat alone.
EJ
charlie tuna

Re: Goliath Grouper

Post by charlie tuna »

In the mid 1950's we caught -- from the shoreline using a rope and shark hook, a 650 pounder, and our entire family came by to pick up fish. I remember my brother cutting big steaks off the fillets that looked like "pot roasts" for each family. It was like any grouper. White and flakey. My grandfather worked for "YES BANANAS" in Miami, he had us bring the car down to their truck scales and weigh the car before and after handling the fish -- they came up with the weight. It was over nine feet long, and the tail was dragging on the road all the way back from the Keys.