Moon Phases

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

charlie tuna

Re: Moon Phases

Post by charlie tuna »

I use this one because I fish out of Ecofina: http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/florida ... illa-river
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I use iSolunar since I have an iPhone/iPad. Screen shot below, you can save your locations and it also has a weather forecast from Wunderground. You can also change the screen image to reflect you choice of target :-D

I fish when I can and rarely get skunked, obviously there are better days and not so good days but if I have a choice of days I at least consider the solunar tables along with tides and weather. I really need to keep better personal records...

My dad and a lot of his hunting/fishing buddies always referred to the best time to hunt/fish as when the moon was "South" eventually I learned he was referring to the location as when the moon was directly overhead/underfoot. It is directly related to peak times in a 24 hour period shown on the tables. They also hated full moons for hunting because the deer "walked all night"

Go when you can and enjoy the time either way :thumbup:
Attachments
Screenshot.png
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

That's the same one I use, ZLoad, with the redfish symbols too. Brilliant minds think alike. :wink:
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

silverking wrote:That's the same one I use, ZLoad, with the redfish symbols too. Brilliant minds think alike. :wink:

Well looking at the # of redfish symbols looks like we both should have been fishing instead of posting... pesky job :lol:
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Yeah, but I was writing an article about shallow-water gags. Doesn't that count? :lol:
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Only if you PM me the numbers :-D Never caught a gag before...
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

www.crystalriver-fishing.com Capt. Dan Clymer 352-418-2160 :thumbup:

Or you can read about catching gag grouper up to 28 inches in depths of 15 feet and often less in the November/December issue of TIDE magazine.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

caught two baby gags sat. in three feet of water on the flats in Cedar Key
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Nice. Juvenile gags spend a lot of time on the shallow grass flats. You think you've hooked a world-record trout and it turns out to be a 15-inch gag.

Capt. Dan fishes in water less than 20 feet and I've been with him when we hooked keeper fish like this one off rocks or ledges. The shallowest was 9 feet (on a plug), but he's caught keepers in 3 feet of water along the Nature Coast. Very cool fishery. Sure don't remember the moon phase but the water was definitely moving. :wink:
DCGag.jpg
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

MudDucker wrote:The old timers used to say not to fish on the full moon, because the fish fed all night. Same was true they said for deer.
Sage advice for inshore - for offshore it is the opposite.

Inshore fish are ambush predators and it is killing time at night on a full moon. Have fished many a redfish tournament and seen reds asleep on the flats with a full moon - too point where I poked them with my rod. But the offshore folks usually fair well because I think the moon has less influence

Chalk saying for full moon flats fishing - early and late bites on bright nights. Meaning I hit my premium spots first thing and then just grind through the day.

Note that pressure will affect things as well anything above 29.7 is usually a good eco tour day

Moving post to fishing