Pheasant hunting during my upland adventure

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Danibeth

Pheasant hunting during my upland adventure

Post by Danibeth »

Sadly the trip is over, but there are lots of pictures to remember the trip by….Steve took lots of great pictures….we had some great days on pheasants…

My boy really turned out to be great at Upland Hunting, and I wish we coulda stayed longer for him to figger it out even more. And there was no hesitation with his first pheasant. Luckily that first pheasant didn’t get away

But he sure did find that first pheasant a very interesting and sweet smelling bird.

Drake did get his first two man limit of pheasants. Good thing that we were shooting well because there just weren’t near the number of pheasants that we expected in some of the areas we were hunting in. It was a little baffling, but he did get his limit.

It was sad without Mike being there to find us birds. But it was fun to bring Drake to places that we hunted with Mike and let him start trying to fill Mike’s large shoes.
Drake with his first two man limit

This was a very common scene where we were hunting. And Drake turned out to REALLY love the smell of turkeys. One of the first things he started trailing with a vengeance was a flock of turkeys. We didn’t know what he was trailing but he was on fire. He moved through that grass with a purpose. He hit that barbed wire fence and was trembling just aching with the desire to get through that fence. (Drake had learned once about barbed wire fences and was very good about waiting when he needed to get through the fence for him to be released through the fence) Steve didn’t see any birds go out of the fence but when it was clear that Drake really wanted to go, he lifted the barbed wire and off he went….a few seconds later there was a monstrous flush of turkeys. He was so pleased with himself and we were so pleased to see him have lots of interest in birds he’d never had any exposure to.

But since the pheasants were not down where we thought they’d be, we started hunting higher and higher, until we found them. And find them we did, just really late in the trip.

Most of the little canyons we walked looked kinda like this

Steve had a great shot on a pheasant that ended up going waaay up the hill

We finally got to the top and had to take a short rest….we turned around and were like….ummmmm dude. Where’s the truck?

We made our way down the hill and were able to finish out a great day

Pretty as he is, Drake was getting tired of showing off his good looks towards the end of the trip….he just wanted to go find more birds

We also had some good days with grouse and quail but those will come a little later

Danibeth
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Re: Pheasant hunting during my upland adventure

Post by Ron Wilson »

Great report/pics. Thanks for sharing.
"Plan for the worst."
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

Nice look like ya'll had a great time
With some great picture
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
manley
Site Sponsor

Post by manley »

I don't post a whole lot here, but I have to say this:
Those are some of the best photographs that I have ever seen.
Amazing, simply amazing!
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Thanks a lot.....glad y'all enjoyed the post
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Great pics!
I like the truck too.