St. Marks 12/5/14 and 12/6/14

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

spothogg
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 12/5/14 and 12/6/14

Post by spothogg »

Seems the fish are difficult to find right now with this weather. Launched out of the fort each day. Friday started in East River and fished the oyster bars. Didn't get any action until the tide was outgoing and at the mouth of the river. Boated two decent trout. Hit the St. Marks River above Shields and nada.

Sat, same routine. Concentrated on oyster bars and the grass line near and in East River and didn't even get a bite. Fished throughout the day with a spoon, topwater, and live shrimp. Made an exit back up the St. Marks when the fog bank rolled in and hit upriver from Shields, hitting several holes up to the private docks. Again, not a darn bite.

Oh well, it's always a good day on the water and dealing with the fog bank made for about twenty very interesting minutes :-)
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks 12/5/14 and 12/6/14

Post by DixieReb »

We fished upriver Thursday and found a few reds but no trout at all. I think the fresh water from all the recent rains and the warm temps have them all messed up right now. But I am puzzled why you didn't find them further downriver on the bars. We need a really good freeze to push them back up the river.
Yours in the South
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

Overnight lows in the 30s forecast for this week. Hopefully that will help.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

I struggled to find fish yesterday. I work at various oyster bar ledges and creek from the lighthouse to the fort. I heard Friday was a pretty productive day for red's in the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch
fishforfun

Post by fishforfun »

Ditto on 12-6 out of St Marks. Figured they might be back down river or out on the flats so I worked a couple oyster beds west of the channel near the light house waiting for the fog to lift till about 10:30 and caught one keeper sea bass. West flats produced an 11" trout on a shrimp within a few minutes, so I figured there must be others, but no more after an hour or so. Went slowly through the fog to St Marks reef...two boats already there, nothing biting for me. Kept going out to public reefs in 20-25 ft targeting flounder on the bottom. Surprising number of boats at each reef given the thick fog going out. Came in with a 6 keeper sea bass and released 3 grunts and a 14in gag for the day. No flounder. Very calm, full speed ride in after the fog cleared. FFF