Advice

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eightwt

Advice

Post by eightwt »

There is a fair to middling chance I will be moving to Tallahassee area within the next 8-12 months. Starting to think about my tackle/flies etc. in anticipation. Have rods in weights 3 to 9 and reels to match. Have various lines including sink tips and intermediate as well as floating. My tying materials include warm water, cold water, and the salt. What patterns should I have and any other suggestions could anyone pass on would be appreciated.

Thanks
bman

Re: Advice

Post by bman »

Where are you moving from? what do you usually fish for?

Your basic fish choices here are
Fresh- bass and bream
I'm a basic fly fisherman so poppers and some nymphs catch all my freshwater fish.

Salt- Reds, trout, flounder and all the rest of your typical inshore species. Lots of tarpon at times of the year.
I know the salt fly guys throw a lot of clousers and crease flys for trout. Crab and spoon patterns for reds.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Good recommendations there from Barry. For trout I'd add Deceivers in olive/white and some shrimp patterns like Cook's Critters and epoxy shrimp. Reds also love deer hair chuggers like small Dahlberg Divers.

If you plan to join the tarpon circus, typical streamer patterns in cockroach, tans, black/red tied on 2/0 hooks, plus an assortment of Toad flies. If you're not a purist it also doesn't hurt to carry an assortment of epoxy glass minnows for Spanish mackerel.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Add some Gartside gurglers and a schminnow type fly to the mix (and a Dupree spoon if you're really not a purist). But pretty much, it's clousers for me.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Thanks for the reply's. Will be coming from Black Hills of South Dakota trout country, started on the fly in warm water and then the salt on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Looking forward to my first redfish anything else that swims down there!