Carrabelle 7/02/02

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SoleSearcher

Carrabelle 7/02/02

Post by SoleSearcher »

Another perfect day for fishing the flats in Carrabelle with light winds, clear water and hungry fish. John and Pat Hinkley were the lucky angers to join me on the Sole Searcher for what turned out to be a memorable day.

We started out bright and early on the flats behind Dog Island to play with the Trout until the sun lit up the flats for site fishing big Tarpon. Several nice Trout were released along with a lone Red. A few Ladyfish also joined in on the action.

As the sun began to rise, we headed to Lanark Reef, staked out an area and prepared for big game action. The first pod to pass by our area were smaller fish in the 25 LB range. Perfect conditions allowed John to make a good cast but the Tarpon didn't respond.

A while later, another pod of larger fish approached. John made a good cast but again, the Tarpon snubbed their noses at his fly. With that, we made a few adjustments in fly selection and waited for another pod.

After a long wait, another pod of large fish came within casting range. John made a decent cast and this time, the fly was immediately nailed and the fight was on! This fish was all business with several jumps and loud rattling gill plates. The long battle ended with an estimated 160 pounder at boatside and an exhausted angler. Great job John!

Now, it was Pat's turn. She is not a fly angler so I set her up with a Penn Powergraph and worked our way down Lanark Reef. After a long wait, a small pod approached. Pat cast out a live Crab which was quickly slurped up by a hungry fish but after an awesome jump, the fish threw the hook.

With the day growing late, I rigged up 2 additional lines, one baited with a fresh chunk of Ladyfish, the other with a live Crab. Pat stayed on the bow with an additional live Crab for casting. A short while later, another pod neared the boat and Pat tossed out the Crab which was quickly hit. This time, the fish was hooked good and the fight was on! I raced aft to reel in the other lines when suddenly another pole was slammed. Now we had a problem...2 big fish on at the same time!

John grabbed the second line while Pat struggled to hold her fish. I couldn't run down Pat's fish with the boat until we did something with the fish on John's line, which revealed itself to be a big Redfish in the 25 LB range. John managed to bring his fish boatside and quickly released it and raced forward to release the anchor. I fired up the Sole Searcher and ran down Pat's fish which was headed east along the reef. Several spectacular jumps followed as we chased the Tarpon for what seemed hours on end.

Finally, after nearly 2 hrs, both the fish and my anglers were exhausted and the fish was brought boatside. Pat jumped in the water and cradled her fish like a baby...laughing and crying all at the same time. It was her first ever landed Tarpon and it was estimated at around 120 lbs. Great job Pat!

Tomorrow, I'll be back on the flats for another shot at some Tarpon action. Hope it's as good as today was!

Until next time, Tight Lines!

Capt. Bob Soderholm
Sole Searcher Charters
Carrabelle, FL
(850) 899-0455
Member, National Association of Charterboat Operators