Shell Point Help

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Price3275

Shell Point Help

Post by Price3275 »

Hello all,
My grandparents had a place in Shell Point when I was growing up and we fished the flats until I was about 14. I am 30 now and started coming back down last July. We caught a few good trout and some reds in Spring Creek and around Live Oak Island on gulp shrimp, stinger grubs, and topwater plugs. Im coming back down for a week in May and another week in July this year. Can anyone give me any ideas on where and how to catch more or bigger trout, reds, spanish, grouper, cobia, etc. in the Oyster Bay area? I have a 19 foot G3 aluminum boat so I'm kind of limited as to how far offshore I can run. (Not really unsafe I dont guess but it will beat the teeth out of your head.) Thanks in advance for your help.
FishWithChris

Re: Shell Point Help

Post by FishWithChris »

Price! Welcome (back) to the area! One of the greatest resources on this forum is the search tool as you'll find a wealth of information through our Inshore Fishing Reports section, the regular Fishing section, and many of our other informative posts scattered throughout - and though we always welcome new posts for discussion, you'll typically get a faster response via search with similar information you'll get in responses to this thread.

As for your boat, assuming its a modified v? What's on the back of it? 4-stroke 90? maybe a 115!??!?! :-D Any of the local public-reefs are accessible on calm days, just make sure you have your safety gear up-to-date and I highly recommend a VHF if you plan to venture too far out of "wading waters..."

Go ahead and get a good search-and-read of the Ochlockonee Shoals and Rotary Reef area... Both are public knowledge but contain a healthy amount of fish for the times you'll be fishing it.

Any other questions, seriously, just ask! Just don't as JT about his holes... bc chances are, you're already fishing them without permission! :lol:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

Thanks! Boat is a 1966 mod V with Yamaha F115 four stroke on an aluminum magic tilt trailer. Works pretty well in the shallow water but is a slow go if there is very much chop on the water. Lol I already have a marine VHF and I think I'm in compliance with the rest of the safety equipment regs. The basis for my fishing question is the higher water temps when I normally get to fish FL. Thought of trying a run to a reef (dont really know which one) if weather would cooperate and nobody thought it was unsafe? Any ideas?
Mo Redd

Post by Mo Redd »

Plan on fishing early in the day in July. Seems like last July nearly every late afternoon had lightning (except the 4th).