St Marks River Enterance 9/25

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

St Marks River Enterance 9/25

Post by mjsigns »

Put in at Shields with Rodbow in the TC II at 4:00. Spent the morning changing the spark plugs and charging the batteries. It was WINDY. We planned on just running to the lighthouse and back with no serious fish catching goals. The water temperature in the river was 75 degrees, and the wind comming fron the north at 15-20 knots and an ocassional 25 knot gusts. When I turned on the radio, the first words we heard were "SMALL CRAFT SHOULD REMAIN IN PORT". No wonder we were the only on of th ethree boats we saw that afternoon. The tide was also going out. Tiptoed through the shallows to a spot where I had cought many trout a few weeks ago. No hits, noting. Rodbow starts using my bottom rig with a chunk of squid and almost immediately picks up a nice catfish. Lifted the anchor and started a drift expecting to find deeper water. I was using a CT with a chartruce jig tipped with squid. Picked up a large sail cat. We drifted more and found ourselves in 1.3"-1.4' water. Depth finder alarm rang out... Trimmed up the engine and kept drifting. The wind was blowing the water right out from under us. Tiptoed back to the channel and ran back to Shields. Engine ran great. What a difference new spark plugs can make! No fish worth keeping, but we weren't skunked. :-)
Last edited by mjsigns on September 26th, 2004, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2true

Post by 2true »

At least you tried it was gettin WAAAYYY windy out there. :o
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

WOW not sure I wanted to venture out into that. :o