St. Joe Bay 6/23 - 6/26

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scott7138
Site Sponsor

St. Joe Bay 6/23 - 6/26

Post by Scott7138 »

Fished Sun. afternoon caught a short the first cast. That to me is an omen. Several other shorts, no keepers, tide was falling fast and things were drying up. Started out Mon. with live Pinfish and Shrimp. Forget the shrimp, caught several Shark on the pinfish. Back to Mann's jerk baits and fluke worms. Caught 5 keepers one of which was 22". Guides were using cast nets and catching Elwyss, not sure if that is spelled right or not. Did not have a cast net. That seemed to be the ticket. Caught 3 keepers on Tuesday the largest being 25" on a Yozuri minnow and Rootbeer grub tails. Lost a nice Redfish on a Mann's jerk bait, gold with a red back. Wednesday started with a nice 19" trout on a grub tail and was followed by a 26" Redfish. That made the day. The moral of this story, never go down with out a cast net. :cry:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Yep those guides swear by those LY's. I myself have done best on the Zoom Flukes and Yozuri's. Where did you fish in the bay?
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Scott7138
Site Sponsor

Post by Scott7138 »

What colors do you prefer on the flukes? I really like fishing those simply due to the fact that there was so much grass floating in the bay it was the only thing you could fish with out bringing in a lure full of grass. Did most of my fishing between Black's Island and the radio tower or the head of the bay
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I like the shad color flukes. I also like fishing the head of the bay. I have done best on the second middle grounds west of Blacks Island.
Tom Keels
Site Founder