Cedar Key offshore: King & grouper 4/18 15

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Cedar Key offshore: King & grouper 4/18 15

Post by Big Bend Brian »

On Saturday the wifer & daughter were planning on seeing the Jimmy Buffet concert in Tampa so after school on Friday Casey & I headed to Cedar Key with the thought of chasing kingfish and cobia on Saturday.

Saturday: With bumpier seas than I had hoped for we modified our plan by heading west to begin to troll for kings on hardbottom starting in 20+ feet (Kingfish Hole). After many passes over our old stone crab trapping rocks with nothing to show but 3 blue runners we headed out to 30 feet to see if we could find the kings (bluerunners went into the livewell). At 30 feet and trolling lures we couldn’t come up with any macs so we moved out to 40 feet. The weeds were getting troublesome too but the winds were decreasing along with the seas.

At 38 feet we tried a short bit of trolling with no action. Since the visibility was top to bottom in 38 feet we decided to switch gears and try for red grouper. Picking out a small patch reef we anchored but caught only small black sea bass. We put out a flat line with one of the blue runners out too but there was no interest. Knowing that when you catch black seabass you’re not gonna catch grouper we moved to a second patch reef 200 yards away.

Blue runner (king candy)

At this reef we immediately starting catching large white grunts so we knew grouper would be around. We put back out the flatline and caught grunts on trout rods for a bit for an upcoming fish fry. We put out a couple of bottom rods with cut bait too (white grunt) but no grouper action. While grunt catching I managed to bring up a 22 inch red grouper that gave a good give & take before it broke the surface. Twenty minutes later Casey managed our second red grouper on cut bait. A third red 30 minutes later was the largest (that went 10.9 lbs at the dock).

Casey with the second red

10.9 lbs at the dock (doesn’t look like it though…..)

For over an hour I kept telling Casey that it was crazy that a king hadn’t taken the bluerunner yet. As we continued to catch grunts we both heard a commotion and looked up to see a large fish out of the water landing next to the flatline with a huge splash. Casey got on that rod quickly and let the Bait Runner go. Giving it a couple of seconds Casey engaged the reel and it started smoking line. Realizing it was a pretty good sized king I pulled the anchor and over the next 10 minutes Casey brought the king to the boat a couple of times only to have it run off. With the mac exhausted we gaffed it and started some high fives!!

This was the largest king Casey has ever caught and the largest caught aboard Plan B.
At the dock it weighed 35.4 pounds

We then re-anchored on a different patch reef and 20 minutes later had another king on a flatline (bluerunner) but after two minutes the king bit through the stinger wire. With that we kept a few more grunts and headed in after a really great day on the water.

Offshore water temps was 76 ˚F with a fair bit of weed (turtle grass). With it being overcast and eventually the sun breaking free later in the day we only noticed top to bottom visibility in 38 feet (14 miles offshore).

Hoo Yah!!
Brian
Quality Time
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Cedar Key offshore: King & grouper 4/18 15

Post by MudDucker »

Suweet trip! :thumbup:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Nice post, good to see last year's Red Tide did not wipe out those grouper. Big 1-3lb grunts are always a good sign that grouper are also there. Drop any kind of livee.... squirrel fish, slippery dick, live blue runner, pin/pig fish, spot tail, etc FWC will frown on using 6-10" sea bass...... but they work very well, long before men made too many regs!

Hope to read more reports like this. This time of year should have plenty of great fishing.
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Whoa! Love it. :thumbup:
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Nice King!
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Thanks for all the nice comments!
Last night I decided to try a Grouper Fish Head soup.

Having never done one of these I was surprised at how much meat is in a grouper head.

Was pretty good I thought but the wifer was not impressed.
I’d do it again though.

Brian
Quality Time
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

I am not too impressed either. but then when in Cedar Key you have to expect some things. This is coming from someone that lives part time in CK
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

In the event that someone would like to try this ….

The 3rd photo is all the meat from the head. The photo doesn’t really convey how much there was. The meat had a very nice flavor and tasted a bit sweeter but that’s probably on account of the method of stewing/seasoning and that the smaller pieces were more delicate on the palate as opposed to a forkful of dense/solid filet.

I reviewed a number of fish head soup recipes and adapted them to what I like (I like simple).
Below is how I did it:

Grouper Fish Head Soup

Ingredients:

grouper head
salt & pepper to taste
~2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion - rings
1/2 head of garlic - peeled and smashed
2 stalks green onion
½ cup fresh cilantro
½ cup fresh parsley
7 small round tomatoes quartered
7 cups heated water

Scrub & scale the head. Remove gills. In a large pot heat olive oil and sauté onions and garlic. Cook until tender. Add fish head and I added 7 cups of heated water (you don’t have to cover the whole head). Add ½ of your cilantro and parsley. Add green onion & tomatoe quarters. Add salt & pepper to taste. Lightly boil for 20 minutes. The head will start to come apart. I flipped the head over twice to help even cooking. Basically when the skin peels back on the side of the head facing up you can remove the head and start teasing away the meat. Then I strained the soup broth to remove solids.

To the broth I added the teased meat along with remaining cilantro & parsley. Heating to keep warm before serving.

**Note there are many other things you can add to this recipe to tweak to your own taste.

Bon appétit !!

Brian
Quality Time
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

That looks delicious! Thanks for sharing pics and posting the recipe.