From the flats to St. Marks reef (almost)

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

randymullaly

From the flats to St. Marks reef (almost)

Post by randymullaly »

Wife and I ran out this morning at first light with plans of fishing the St. Marks reef. Made a quick stop in front of the lighthouse to catch some pin fish and picked up a keeper trout on live shrimp and a good size lady fish (good for cut bait if nothing else). Ran out to the reef (almost). Dive boat sitting right on my numbers and I don't like getting too close when theres a flag up. Anchored a ways off and started free lining pin fish and fishing cut bait on the bottom. My wife caught a shark (not sure what variety but had spots on it) that went about 4'. Wore her out on medium/light tackle. Caught some nice AJ's and Spanish. Im thinking till I start seeing some more favorable reports, thats gonna be my plan going forward!
Bluewave

Re: From the flats to St. Marks reef (almost)

Post by Bluewave »

How far out is the reef at St. Marks don't think I have been there?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

randymullaly wrote:Wife and I ran out this morning at first light with plans of fishing the St. Marks reef. Made a quick stop in front of the lighthouse to catch some pin fish and picked up a keeper trout on live shrimp and a good size lady fish (good for cut bait if nothing else). Ran out to the reef (almost). Dive boat sitting right on my numbers and I don't like getting too close when theres a flag up. Anchored a ways off and started free lining pin fish and fishing cut bait on the bottom. My wife caught a shark (not sure what variety but had spots on it) that went about 4'. Wore her out on medium/light tackle. Caught some nice AJ's and Spanish. Im thinking till I start seeing some more favorable reports, thats gonna be my plan going forward!
Wow, I can't believe st marks reef was holding AJ's, I figured it would be way too shallow for them now. Learn something new every day. Congrats, thanks for posting.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Sure it was AJ'S and not big blue fish? Lol jk!

Nice work.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Bluewave, It's not but a few miles past the last channel marker. It's on the Top Spot map for the area. Artificial reef. Concrete culverts and tires I think.
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

I caught a fishing rod the last time I was out at the reef...

2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
Bluewave

Post by Bluewave »

Thanks I will try to check it out next time we are down! :D