How to make shock leader

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

How to make shock leader

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

I am trying to catch shark and I had a large circle hook with a stainless steel leader connected a 65 lb braided line with a mullet that was about 1/2 a pound. I cast out fine the first time but after that the line snapped. I did it again and it snapped. I was told to use a shock leader. How do I make a shock leader for this?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: How to make shock leader

Post by Dubble Trubble »

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
bigphishy

Post by bigphishy »

take a look at this post
Braid to Fluoro Knot- The FG knot?
this will be the best knot to use with a shock leader. if you are targeting bigger sharks the shock leader does 2 things. 1) it does what it says and adds some shock absorption beacause the mono will stretch a lil and your braid and wire will not. 2) the leader will hold up better while the shark is fighting you. sharks have very rough skin and the line will almost always brush against the animal some time durring the battle. sharks are notorious for rolling and doing spins while on the line. so this will help. you will want to use a decent length at least 4 to 5 feet sometimes 10+ and 60 to 100lb line should do.
with what you were experiencing with the line breaks you might want to try a different knot when connecting the braid directly to a lure or swivel. the same knots that are good with mono and flouro dont always work so great with braid, but with using a shock leader you will be connecting the mono to your wire bite leader.
hope this helps! go get em
DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

Thank you for the assist!