Must Be Nice To Be The King!

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Must Be Nice To Be The King!

Post by big bend gyrene »

I can honestly say I've never feared that a fishing report would get me banned from the site... that is until this post.

But they say, "The truth shall set you free!", so it's my hope that flat out telling the truth will protect me.

The day started out like many other of my fishing days... last minute call from a friend with a request to put some out of town folks on fish if possible. What made it a bit different was that none other than forum owner Bman was on the other end of the line. Checked the computer and saw flat-seas wind forecast, a decent solunar bite predicted, and low threat of storms until late afternoon. Told Bman I would do my best to ensure mission accomplished.

Went out of St. Marks and fairly quickly loaded up on bait. Then ran out to a favorite rocky area in 18' of water. We aren't anchored for more than 30 minutes or so before we see a monster cobia swim by the boat. 10 minutes later one of our rods takes a Wicked Tuna drag-screaming bend. Realizing it's a BIG fish I grab the rod, asking everyone to get prepared for chaos and a hand-off to one of Barry's guests if at all possible. Get the fish to the surface... AND... it's the biggest cobia I've seen in our neck of the woods. Best estimate is 70 pounds. Far bigger than any of the hundred or so cobia pulled aboard Marine's Dream to date.

As soon as the visual is made, the bruiser cobe decides he HATES our boat and likes Pensacola MUCH more, making a mad dash westward. Line is SCREAMING off the reel. Try my best to turn it... no dice... add all the thumbing I can to an already heavy drag... no dice, just a blistered thumb. Watch as I'm half spooled in seconds. On the positive side, the fish is off the bottom and running on top away from any rocks and I know if we can JUST PULL ANCHOR AND CHASE to regain line one of Bman's guest is very likely going to make the memory of a LIFETIME!

I yell, "LET'S PULL ANCHOR!!!" and almost instantly get a holler back from Bman's friend, "ANCHOR FREE!"...and then... then... I yell, "BMAN, START THE BOAT AND CHASE!" Bman, moving in slow-motion answers back in a southern drawl, "Dang, Big Bend Gyrene! My sabiki's wrapped in your line!" and instead of chasing ambles back to me trying to fiddle with his sabiki line. Looking down I see I'm down to backing with black spool appearing between the last few feet of line and with tears welling in my eyes yell, "BMAN FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY CUT THE SABIKI AND CHASE!", and he then says something like, "Wait a second... I'm thirsty, let me get a spot of tea first!"... and with that... "KAPOWWW!"... the line snaps, taking every bit of my full spool of 65lb braid. :smt010 :smt022 :smt089

Well, they say karma's a bee-atch, so I guess I had it coming in light of my laughing at Bman's hilarious grappling attempt at another big cobe back in 2013. Anyone not familiar with that tale can find it here: http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... =3&t=33903

Anyway, wiping away the tears I drowned myself with a few of these before getting refocused on the mission.
Emergency.jpg
Having had a big bite early I was guardedly optimistic that we were going to have an OK day. Fairly quickly we get another BIG bite, but this time Bman's on the rod like white on rice.

Versus typing anymore, this recap video REALLY does a decent job telling the entire rest of the tale, down to the very last minute of our return to port when I noticed something at the St. Mark's launching area I've NEVER noticed before. Just will sum it up with Mel Brook's famous words from History of the World: Part 1, "It's good to be the king!" :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpwOFQSt9q4[/video]
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: Must Be Nice To Be The King!

Post by zload »

Nicely done BBG, but I think it is HAWG...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
bman

Post by bman »

That was my first good sized fish on that big Teramar rod and it performed perfectly. Good grief can those kings make burning runs!
king.jpg
John, Nice verbal recap of the HUGE cobia that spooled you. It was by far the biggest I have ever seen personally on a line :o
I know the Emergency Beer helped but I kept thinking about this Tshirt I have. I'll bring it t you the next trip out.
slam brew.jpg
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

I haaaate it when that happens BBG.
We sometimes get spooled so fast that we don't have time to get to the bow and unhook.
Glad ya got on em!
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Next time, hire good help! :smt005

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

We might have to change his name to Big Bend King.
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

That COBIA fish tale sounds like a giant cluster ________. Dagum fellas, get your shit together!
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

I would have turned that cobe except that I only catch snook these days. :D Great job and I miss you guys. Good job! Can I post snook on this site? Is it allowed? :)
bman

Post by bman »

Sharkman wrote:I would have turned that cobe except that I only catch snook these days. :D Great job and I miss you guys. Good job! Can I post snook on this site? Is it allowed? :)
I will have to make a personal visit to inspect the fishery before I allow you to post reports ;-)
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Sharkman, Big Bend Brian shares some of the most epic posts on the board and while some are Cedar Key reports, many others are from spots outside the immediate big bend area. For that matter, Cranfield occasionally throws in reports from bloody ol' England. Bet there are enough fellows on the board who like chasing snook when they can travel south that snook reports would be welcomed. :thumbup: :beer:

As for the turning the cobia, not a chance unless you'd been using rope & chain. While I don't believe you would have turned him, I know you're hardcore enough you likely either would have either: A) gotten Bman moving faster on the run & gun chase effort... or, B) given him far more heck than I did. If you hadn't moved south and had been aboard Marine's Dream like the good old days we would have boated it for sure. Unlike Bman you're not the type to put saving a sabiki rig over the interest of a ginormous cobia. :smt009 :smt010
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945