I saw this on FaceBook for y'all fishin Saint Marks

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wevans
Site Sponsor

I saw this on FaceBook for y'all fishin Saint Marks

Post by wevans »

Copied from facebook
Hi everyone. Our best friends launched at St. Marks' lighthouse yesterday and when they pulled aside to strap on the boat after scalloping all day with us, they put their dachshund down on the street as always before putting him in the car. Within 10 seconds, an 8-foot gator came out of the swampy area (30 yards from the ramp) and snatched their dog, pulling him into the water. Our friends saw the whole thing and even tried to swim in to get the gator, but it was too late. Please spread the word to your friends with dogs or small children. We used to do the same thing with our dachshund (letting him off the boat to relieve himself before driving home when we used to live in Tally) but we will never do that again. FWC came out and is working on removing the gator from that human-populated area. So sad!
Watch your animals and little ones closely folks!! :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
KLONG
Site Sponsor

Re: I saw this on FaceBook for y'all fishin Saint Marks

Post by KLONG »

Wow. That is crazy. I plan to launch there in the next day or two. Thanks for the heads up.
Waldo, good to see you posting again. K
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Super sad. I can't imagine having to watch that. Leash your dogs folks
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I often see folks walking the St Marks Refuge levees with their dogs and/or toddlers. Tragedy waiting to happen, especially in the summer, when the 8 footers are both hungry AND competing for alpha reptile status. This is the only time of the year I get chased out of the creeks while wadefishing.

Dog owners, please be aware that your pooches are dinner bells for gators in the refuge.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Years ago, when we first started the NFGFC, there used to be a large gator down there that had been fed a lot of fish remains and various other snacks. He became rather aggressive about blocking the ramp in an effort to get boaters to toss him a fish. Whatever you do, don't feed the gators or porpoises, both can become a real nuisance.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Wow! Thanks for the heads up for a lot of times have both with me. ( my dog Camry and my 3 & 6 year old) plan on going scalloping soon and putting in at the lighthouse. I will diff keep a close eye on my babies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

It is called St Marks wildlife refuge for a reason
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Heard a story recently about a couple guys driving into the refuge years ago for a mid-morning fishing trip only to see an older lady standing on top of one of the picnic tables holding her pet poodle with a 6' gator trying his best to figure out how to climb up on that table and have poodle for lunch. They ran the gator off, helped the visibly shaken lady down and gave her a drink of water. As they left she was heard to exclaim she "was going back to Chicago and never coming back to this God forsaken place". :lol:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

if armed, would you shoot a gator who took your dog?

would it be legal?
850-273-8818
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

YES I WOULD LEGAL OR NOT.
PA
SEMPER FI

P.S. EVER BEEN BIT BY A GATOR?
FUTCHCAIRO
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Only until the magazine ran out of cartridges or it stopped whichever came first. I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night but pretty sure you still have the right to protect your property and self against 2 legged or 4 legged critters in Florida at least for now...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I'm sure the Federal Judge wouldn't be amused but I would definitely empty a clip on that gator.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Until very recently( this year) you weren't allowed to carry firearms on the refuge. I'd guess it might have to do with circumstances. Also not an attorney and did not stay at holiday inn, but I'd think if your dog was off leash, you'd be in some hot water. If leashed it wouldn't be hard to argue you were in fear of your life. When I walk the the refuge, I carry to protect myself. The bottom line is, if your dog isn't off leash, then you aren't going to need to empty a mag, cause the gator isn't coming that close to you at the ramp
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Years ago...before....well thats enough of that story... :smt005 Sure was fun growing up down there !!