Which one yamaha or mercury

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

waterman

Which one yamaha or mercury

Post by waterman »

Would like to know which one would you choose and why. I fixing to buy a new boat at one dealer they have a 150 4s mercury. at the other dealer they sell the same boat with a 150 4s yamaha. the yamaha boat has a higher price tag. If price is not a big facture as long as it is a good product which one would you choose. Boat in question is 2015 carolina skiff 238 dlv. Thanks for yalls in put
One Keeper

Re: Which one yamaha or mercury

Post by One Keeper »

Yammy for me. :thumbup:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Had both - both taken care of, both ran great....Ford or Chevy

Though I have spent more time working on my Mercury (650 hours) and I run it at 70 mph a lot....will be buying a new Mercury 250 Pro Xs in a few weeks. If you read around you will find Yamaha owners having issues like Mercury, like Evinrude...all things break, all things have issues
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I think you are okay with either of those two. I've run both hard and had no issues. I would go with whichever one would give you a better deal and a longer warranty.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Some really fine boat manufacturers run both....My shop is just down the road so that made my decision for me !! :thumbup: :thumbup:
wacissaguy

Post by wacissaguy »

I will never own another Merc.I grew up with Merc motors, seems like there was a problem every year-and that was with a fanatical Father who maintained the motor and had it serviced by mercury dealers.My best friend who lives in Homestead has had Mercury motors twice on his 23 foot offshore boat (Because of cheaper price) has been towed more times than I can remember. I have used Yammy since I bought my first boat 20 years ago-have never broke down,and I've gone thru 2 offshore boats.I currently operate a Suzy-but its on a small boat,and I could not find a similar engine in its class that offered electronic fuel injection (15 HP).
ertauber

Post by ertauber »

If you are the Tally, panacea, st marks area I have been told by Mikes marine, Shell island fish camp and Porter marine, that none service or stock parts for Mercury. My Tracker came with merc and when the oil pump gave out and the alarm did not work the motor disintegrated loudly. I bought a used Merc and it did the same thing. Now I have a Yamaha and I know I can get parts and service at all three repair facilities.
I asked Mike Sr. why so many boats come with Merc and I was told that merc pays the boat manufacturers to put merc with the boat. Bass Pro will not sell you a new boat without a merc period, end of discussion. I asked can I just by a boat, no motor. NOOOOO!
Yet if you are in Atlanta many dealers handle Mercury.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Mercury is very popular in the bass boat world, I don't think I see as many on dedicated saltwater boats but that is anecdotal. My buddy takes his (frequently) Mercury to Crews Marine in Perry they are a "Premier" Mercury dealer. As far as BPS they do change OB providers once in a while I actually had a Tracker with a factory black Evinrude on it back in 89/90. They changed back to Mercury a year or so later and have not changed since. I suspect their engine of choice is whoever is willing to enter the lowest bid for the multi-year contract.

I would expect Yamaha resale value to be higher but that only factors in if you plan on replacing regularly... if I were buying today Mercury would be at the bottom of my list along with a Ford truck (Chevy man) and a Winchester rifle (Remington man) so it is pretty much a personal thing for most. :thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Rangerpat
Site Sponsor

Post by Rangerpat »

A big selling point when it comes to purchasing a boat motor is customer support after the sale. How easy is it for me to trailer my boat to the dealership where I purchased it, for repair and maintenance.

I have good luck with my Yamaha motor, and the boat dealer (Mike's Marine Supply) does a good job taking care of me when I need to have my engine serviced.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

waterman wrote:Would like to know which one would you choose and why. I fixing to buy a new boat at one dealer they have a 150 4s mercury. at the other dealer they sell the same boat with a 150 4s yamaha. the yamaha boat has a higher price tag. If price is not a big facture as long as it is a good product which one would you choose. Boat in question is 2015 carolina skiff 238 dlv. Thanks for yalls in put
This is a trick question, right? :smt005
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Wavel Porter of Porter Marine in Woodville told me Yamaha over all others.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
bull68dawg

Post by bull68dawg »

Yamaha in Salt Water. Mercury is ok in Fresh water. just in my personal experience. Yammy over everything!!!!
"How do you like them apples"

UGA Grad 04 GO DAWGS!
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I recently went through a re-power. I looked hard at Yamaha, Etec, and Mercury.

For the price and warranty(5 yrs) I felt like Yamaha had the best deal for me. Also the service available in the area for Yamaha.
I think they are all good. Mercury impressed me with the new inline 4 strokes, but the 115 was new in that line and the Yamaha F115B had a year in the field.
I can say the F115B is a beast for a 4 stroke. I cannot tell it is not a 2 stroke as far as hole shot and mid range torque.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I have had a trouble free Mercury for 14 years. However, it is a Saltwater Merc, that is made for the ocean environment. The only issue I ever has was a bad fuel line disintegrated and stopped up the fuel pump, but that was not a motor issue.

Like others have said, they all have issues. Just google "(any engine name) problems"

I would have no problem running any of them. Many people get to where they are going daily with Mercs, Evinrudes, Yamahas, and Suzukis.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Fish Dawg

Post by Fish Dawg »

I have a 150 Yammy 4s on my 235 DLV Carolina Skiff and love it ! It will really go too ! No problems so far . I have had it almost a year , bought it used with only 85 hrs on the motor. I had a 90hp Etec on a 198 DLV Skiff and had a few issues.but never had to be towed in , except when Big Dawg towed me in when we ran out of gas !! LOL ! Had it for 6 yrs and I'm glad we went with a Yammy this time.