Econfina, July 4th

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Econfina, July 4th

Post by Tom Keels »

Just thinking of the hordes of people that would be at the ramp got me and my father-in-law Sonny up at 4:30 am to get to the ramp early. After making some quick stops for gas and drinks we arrived at the ramp shocked and amazed. There was only 2 boats ahead of us.

We made our way down the river quickly showing some folks in a bass boat why they should follow us so they wouldn't get stuck at the mouth. We went east to an area near shore hoping to find redfish.

We worked the incoming tide along the shoreline managing only one trout and a couple of follows. The highlight was watching a 5 foot bull shark chase down and eat a 3 foot garfish in 2 feet of water. Man that was a sight. :o

We decided to head to a deeper spot near the bird racks so we caught some pinfish along the way. Floating grass was absolutely terrible and wate clarity was very low as we just could make out light and dark patches in 10 feet. We set up a drift with pinfish out the back and managed to catch 2 more trout on jigs, one being 24" the other 18", and 2 rockbass in the 12" range. Only sharks would hit the pins, but the one fish that got away after a short fight did give the familiar headshake like the man in the brown suit.

It was 10:00 and we wanted to look for scallops, and we found them. I can't tell you exactly where, but you can find them if you look. I called a couple of NFGFC, members Runningbare and Captain K over to our spot and they limited. I also got to take a tour of Captain K's new 29 foot Mirage. All I can say is WOW what a fishing machine!

If you want to join us for the NFGFC Club Scallop Trip on July 13th, I will post the LAT/LON of the spot on the website next Thursday.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Tom
Glad to hear you found the scallops. We found 'em as well. What I noticed was that if you found them in a spot.....stay there. Several times we would venture a hundred yards or so in any direction and totally miss them. But when we'd move back to our "spot", we'd start picking them up again. I hear you on the sharks man. I caught 16 sharks from Wed. to Sat....all under the cajun thunders with pinfish. Are cobes still out there? :cry:

tf
pops
Site Sponsor

Post by pops »

We found the scallops also, caught several nice trout and a red fish.
Boated a 24" cobia, still looking for the one that took my cajun thunder weekend before last. he was at least 48"
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

sounds like their are scallops every were up in the northern part of the big bend........I here you got to work for them out of Cristal river area......I can't dive or them but I would love to get a few someday......
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

My scalloping efforts have sucked to this point!

C'mon webmaster throw me a bone! Where, where..... :lick: