SHARK POPULATIONS

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ifishtoo

SHARK POPULATIONS

Post by Ifishtoo »

I don't fish often any more, but I have met and chat with many fellas that fish daily. Charter boat captains will quickly tell you, "Sharks are a much bigger problem than they were 10 & 20yrs ago". These are fellas that were fishing 10 & 20yrs ago. I also know a couple of fellas that fish commercially for king fish. They each have 20yrs plus experience harvesting king fish. The Commercial season just opened July 1st and already they are clamoring about "Way too many sharks".

This did not happen overnight, however it's rising exponentially. IMHO, the federal govt deserves much of the blame. Shark fishing regulations have increased each year since 1992. Those same sharks cannot read all those other regulations about the reef fish. Many of those reef fish being tossed back by recreational and commercial fisherman are now being devoured by sharks. We all know how many times sharks ruin your catch...... even before you can release it.

This needs to stop and soon. Unleash fisherman, let recreational and commercial fisherman have an open season on them. Within 3-4yrs, the shark problem will begin to decline. It's not Global warming or Climate Change that's causing their populations to explode............ it's the federal government over regulating, protecting them........... as if they were some kind of "Snail Darter Minnow"!
leonreno

Re: SHARK POPULATIONS

Post by leonreno »

Some shark populations are probably on the rise, some aren't. I think a large part may be due to the resurgence in fish populations from the net ban. More fish equals more food for sharks, this more sharks. But, sharks, being at the top of the food chain, reproduce slow and recover slow from over harvest. Biggest problem, is most fisherman don't care to catch or keep them. I'm for reasonable harvest of shark species that can handle it but we should stay cautious about over harvest. Just because they eat some of the fish we try to catch does not mean we should wipe out half of them.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

You are a sharkist and I am offended! :smt012 ......................... :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bman

Post by bman »

There are absolutely plenty in our area... they are a fun catch and good table fare.

I remember when I was a kid you killed any you caught - just like you shot any gator you saw.
No doubt our conservation mindset has increased the population to higher levels than we have seen in years.
The open season may be too harsh but if people kept a few more it would be good.

Your encouraging me to write a post on catching, cleaning and cooking them.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

If anyone on here knows how sharks were being caught in: 1980, 1990, 2000; please let us know. I'm talking about all sharks; sharks being landed by commercial fishing and recreational fishing industry. NOAA has been tracking shark landings since about 1990. Red Snapper, too.

Beginning in 1992 federal regulations increased on all kinds of sharks. These regulations were put into place on both: the recreational and commercial sectors. Every 2yrs, the regulation became stiffer. Today, sharks are more regulated than red snapper. Yes, many may not believe this, but do some research on "who was catching what" beginning in 1990. You will learn that there is a much greater DECLINE in the percentage of RS being landed today versus in 1990, than there is the DECLINE percentage of sharks being landed. Remember, I'm talking all sharks and all RS, being caught by both recreational and commercial fisherman. Simply put, the sharks have been gaining ground must faster than reef fish.

Part of the problem is there are not many captains today, that were captaining fishing vessels in 1990. That is 25yrs ago...... and most of the folks that participated in the recreational & commercial sectors are no longer fishing.......... or at least not fishing routinely. Find a fella who has had an opportunity "To see first hand, from 1990-2015" and ask what he is experiencing. Sharks don't care whose fish they are eating, they do not discriminate. They eat commercially hooked reef fish just as readily as they eat recreational reef fish........... and those are the folks that will tell you "Sharks are causing them more trouble than they have in the past 10,20,or 30yrs".

I don't have a dog in the hunt, but I do know a few fellas that still fish for living. Some still run charters, some still run head boats, some still fish commercially, and some do all of those. Those fellas are all over 45 and can see what the feds are doing to shark population.

What is this about nets? Gill nets were banned back in the? '80s? Wasn't that ban in Florida? Did that include all the Gulf coast? Sharks move and migrate, depending on water temperatures, salinity, etc.
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

i did see 4 of the short trout get eat by sharks yesterday, when i release them , that's the part i don't like
and yes all the shark i catch i put back they are fun ,guess i need to start putting them in the box ,back in the 70 and 80 we did eat a lot of them
Last edited by Blue spinner on July 19th, 2015, 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

bman wrote:There are absolutely plenty in our area... they are a fun catch and good table fare.

I remember when I was a kid you killed any you caught - just like you shot any gator you saw.
No doubt our conservation mindset has increased the population to higher levels than we have seen in years.
The open season may be too harsh but if people kept a few more it would be good.

Your encouraging me to write a post on catching, cleaning and cooking them.

Please do Barry. This topic came up with me and some fellas last night while out floundering (within 5 minutes we saw a shark).
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I've been fishing the gulf since the 60's. Shark catches and reports are on the rise. I don't know why, but I can tell you that trout and red fish populations in the 60's and 70's were far far greater than they are now.

I've not seen too many people targeting sharks in the Gulf over the years, but I've seen plenty targeting them in the Atlantic. The Atlantic always seemed to have more and bigger sharks. Might have been more fishermen, but I've lost a LOT of big kings to sharks in the Atlantic.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Barry,

Id love to see you (and anybody else with experience) post information on shark species that are good to eat as well as info on preparation and cooking tips! Lately Ive been catching pin fish and running out just past the bird rack to catch sharks for fun. Haven't put any in the box. Grateful for any information.
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

MudDucker wrote:You are a sharkist and I am offended! :smt012 ......................... :smt005
Now that was funny right there!! :lol:
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

bman wrote: Your encouraging me to write a post on catching, cleaning and cooking them.
I'm with Sea Scoop. An article on what you can keep and can't. I know it shows on MYFWC.com but I cant find the legal limits. All I can find is All sharks are 54" to the fork except for prohibited species. Then it says *Excludes Atlantic sharpnose, blacknose, blacktip, bonnethead, finetooth and smooth dogfish." So what are the regs on those? Then I don't see the Spinner shark. Does it have another name. Then also what to do when caught (bleed out or ice bath etc.) Recipes to me can be thrown together as I like to cook, its the cleaning and regulations that get me.
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

First, Mudducker, the commercial king season opened in the Gulf off La July 1. An old friend is still harvesting them. He has had more trouble this past 5yrs with sharks than in the past 20yrs. He also reports, "Try fishing at night off shore over there and all you catch is sharks!!!!"

The Federal govt has been regulating shark fisheries since 1990's. Around 1990, they began regulating the commercial harvesting of sharks. Each year they would shorten the season, restricting the amount of sharks that can be harvested. The also began to put size limits on each species. Each year, NOAA Fisheries shortened the harvest season and obviously that limited the amount of sharks being caught. All this is based Sustaining the population.

As for the FWC and recreational fisherman, I ?believe? it is something like one shark per fisherman or perhaps one shark per vessel. I have no idea what species the FWC is keeping track of. NOAA tracks (or was) Sand bars, Black tips, Lemons, Tigers, Sand tigers, Duskies, Bull Shark, Reef shark, Hammerheads, and the list goes on and on. I held a 100ton license for 25yrs and used it to pay the bills. I have also worked in other employment that has nothing to do with "Charter Boats, Oil Supply boats, Headboats, or Simply recreational fishing". These days I know a handful of fellas/captains who are still working "On the water".

These shark population regs are not limited to the Gulf of Mexico. NOAA fisheries regulates all USA coastal waters. I know for a fact that these regulations have steadily increased in the Atlantic & Gulf waters. I have no knowledge of the Pacific coast.

Today there are very few fisherman/captains that are even involved in the harvesting of sharks. The season is so short, it's simply not worth it. Again, talk to someone who is on the water everyday, trying to make a living, in an environment that many would call hostile. Those fellas that have 20-30yrs experience will tell you, "Sharks are becoming a bigger & bigger problem". While at the same time, NOAA has increased the regs, limiting the amount that can be harvested.

As for eating sharks, yes I've eaten some, but based on my taste, none of them are as good as many reef fish. A Trigger fish is just one that comes to mind! Trust me, ask an old fisherman........ a salt over 45 or 55. Ask one of those commercial IFQ red snapper fisherman (those RS commercial fisherman) they will tell you. Who the hell wants sharks eating everything thrown back..... because some NOAA attorney says "Nope, you caught the wrong fish at the wrong time OR the wrong size fish." IMHO, seems like the govt is protecting wolves/coyotes to the point where game is devoured........... and then comes cats & dogs.