St Mark's scallop trip

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

St Mark's scallop trip

Post by onefishtwofish »

Nothing spectacular scallop wise, enough for a light dinner for two. Had to stop multiple places and the girls got bored. Finally found a few. Always fun.

The real reason for the report is the grass beds looked healthy and beautiful. Water clarity was good. Did my heart good to see nice grass and clear water. Seems like such a long time ago that it looked so good.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
spoton
Site Sponsor

Re: St Mark's scallop trip

Post by spoton »

I had a similar experience scalloping St. Marks last Sunday. Can find a few but it takes work and bored my kids as well. I agree with the report on the water quality and healthy-looking seagrass. Maybe we will have a good fall fishing season!
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

We went out yesterday to do a little fishing and decided to jump in to cool off in the afternoon. We had a 3 man limit in a little under 2 hours. The water was super clear and like onefish said the grass looks great!!
Ted in Tallahassee

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

If you were anywhere near Grey Mare rock you may have seen me, I was the gross looking guy in the little jonboat with the shark mouth on it (see pic to the left). I managed to limit on trout, but it took 6 hours. Did not catch any shorts, all were keepers, all on Gulp jigs under Cajun Thunders. Caught several sharks too, and way too many flathead cats. Pin fish were terrible, probably cost me $20 in ruined Gulps. I had a look-down box and looked in the grass periodically as I drifted and moved around and I can't say I saw any place that was eat up with scallops. Just saw one or two here and there, and got a crink in my neck.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I could have hit the rock with a really good cast at one point. I did see the little jon, just never got that close to you to see the shark. There were pinfish everywhere while we were scalloping. And urchins (which is always a good sign when we actually get scallops). Saw flounder and puffers too.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Was out there with Milto and BigPhishy and they weren't thick, but we had no problem spotting them.
Visibility was solid - the grass was beautiful. Recovery in effect!
The Scallops were meaty, very solid in size.
We saw tons of bait (pins, croakers, etc), a few flatties, and even a sea horse lol
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

onefishtwofish wrote:I could have hit the rock with a really good cast at one point. I did see the little jon, just never got that close to you to see the shark. There were pinfish everywhere while we were scalloping. And urchins (which is always a good sign when we actually get scallops). Saw flounder and puffers too.
Funny you mentioned urchins. July 4th where the scallops covered the bottom so did urchins. They must like the same things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Urchins and scallops.....they be mates. :-D
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

onefishtwofish wrote:Urchins and scallops.....they be mates. :-D
Dat be funny mate !!! :beer: :beer:
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Went out today and got a few more. We did not need many to make a meal for 3, but what a meal we had. I cooked them 3 different ways. Sauteed (everyone's favorite), coated in Italian bread crumbs and baked with parmesan on top, and last, I tried a new recipe I have been wanting to try. We left them on the white side and stuffed around them with crab cake. Scoop off with a spoon and all in one bite. Awesome.
IMG_4413.JPG
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

:thumbup: :thumbup: looks good
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Ooo. Scallops on the half shell. Gonna have to try that!
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

great report! looks delicious.
850-273-8818