Popper jig rigs for trout: Gulp shrimp vs. rubber shrimp?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ted in Tallahassee

Popper jig rigs for trout: Gulp shrimp vs. rubber shrimp?

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

I know Gulp shrimp on jigs under poppers are proven trout getters, but I am tired of pinfish picking away at them every cast and ruining them. It's starting to get expensive. What's a good tougher cheaper alternative to Gulp shrimp that will still get trout? Fake rubber shrimp? Bucktail jig? Rubber swimbaits like Flukes?
RCS
Site Sponsor

Re: Popper jig rigs for trout: Gulp shrimp vs. rubber shrim

Post by RCS »

Any and all of the above. I've had days where everyone on my boat was fishing some color/form of gulp, and couldn't buy a trout bite. Rummaged through the bottom of my tackle bag and found an old pack of chartreuse curly tail grubs, electric chicken paddle-tails, etc...made the switch, and proceeded to wear them out. You don't have to use Gulp to catch fish.
bman

Post by bman »

If the water is clear most plastics will work...
Go pick up some soft plastics - Chartreuse, red and yellow, yellow and white or pearl will all catch trout.
I like the paddle tail like this -
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

I like DOA shrimp, but they are not cheap either.
Plain old plastic curley tails are cheap and the work!!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WHAT BMAN SAID, THEY USE TO HAVE BULK PADDLE TAIL GRUBS AT THE LITTLE BAIT SHOP ON THE RIGHT JUST BEFORE YA GET TO THE RED LIGHT AT WAKULA STATION SHORT CUT ROAD. IT IS NORTH OF SAVANNAHS RESTURANT. I BOUGHT $10 WORTH OF THEM, CHARTRUSE, NATURAL, CHICKEN, RED HEAD WHITE, SILVER FLAKE, AND YELLOW GREEN. I STILL HAVE ABOUT 300 OF THEM LEFT. THE PINFISH PECK ON THEM BUT THEY STAND UP A LOT BETTER THAN DOA.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WHAT BMAN SAID, THEY USE TO HAVE BULK PADDLE TAIL GRUBS AT THE LITTLE BAIT SHOP ON THE RIGHT JUST BEFORE YA GET TO THE RED LIGHT AT WAKULA STATION SHORT CUT ROAD. IT IS NORTH OF SAVANNAHS RESTURANT. I BOUGHT $10 WORTH OF THEM, CHARTRUSE, NATURAL, CHICKEN, RED HEAD WHITE, SILVER FLAKE, AND YELLOW GREEN. I STILL HAVE ABOUT 300 OF THEM LEFT. THE PINFISH PECK ON THEM BUT THEY STAND UP A LOT BETTER THAN DOA.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Every soft bait company in the world makes a shrimp and a jerk bait, DOA, Bass Assassin, Trigger X, Z-man (very tough plastic from the few I tried) have all worked for me at one point or the other. Bass Assassin baits are made in Mayo, FL and I think DOA are still made in FL (nice to support someone semi-local when you can) and both have a ton of awesome colors, they are very soft so they will tear pretty easily but I don't get the pinfish pecks like a Gulp and no liquid, smells or drying up problems. Both of those can usually be bought in larger bulk packs if you find one you like.

Personally I think trout, especially the larger ones are more visual feeders than scent based but I still have Gulp on the boat...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Any advise on "spray on" attractants?
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

The Z-Man are very good. Very durable and they all have a slot that you can squeeze the gel attractants into.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

DOA Lures are made in the US. The office is in Stuart and the lures are made at their plant near Jax.

The DOA shrimp are one of my go-to lures. The pinfish do like to peck at them, but I've also caught numerous large trout--and redfish--on them. The natural patterns (near clear, gold/glow and root beer/gold flake) are my favorites. DOA shrimp also have scent infused in the plastic (aquaculture shrimp).

I have also used the Pro-Cure bait gels at times, mainly in the winter when the bite is slower. The gel stays on the plastic lures and comes in several flavors, including shrimp, mullet and menhaden. It is the real thing, made of ground up bait. The Gulp! formula is proprietary, but the main ingredient is menhaden as well.

The DOA CAL series are less pricey and come in bulk packs through the web site. They come in small shad tails, paddle tails and two sizes of jerk baits. The swim bait (formerly the Air Heads) CALs mimic pinfish and include a hook pocket and belly pocket for adding scents.

Another tried-and-true soft plastic choice that's certainly local is SureKetch. Made right here in Tallahassee. Sureketch are carried at several of the local tackle shops and have the exclusive collar to stay on the jig head better. Lots of available colors too.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat