St Marks day to remember

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wskybiz

St Marks day to remember

Post by wskybiz »

Decided to take my pops and 2 boys (8 and 10) on a last minute trip yesterday. Put in at the fort around 430 and headed to the sand bar to pick up some pin fish while the boys got some swimming in. Nothing hungry but a few catfish. Plenty of bait everywhere. Worked some spots coming back in but not a bite. My youngest wanted to try one last spot just outside the lighthouse cut. He having figured out how to cast wanted to try and show up his older brother. Threw some live shrimp and pin fish for a few minutes. Saw a nice tarpon roll on the other side of the bar that the boys thought was a porpoise. Having never seen one before they were amazed at how big it was. I explained to them how rare and difficult it is to find, hook, and land one is. We were about to call it when WHAM!! Mr. Tarpon smashed the small pin fish on my lil mans 10 lb spinning rig (the one we use to catch pin fish lol). First few jumps were awesome as the drag screamed. I told them to enjoy it because it won't be on the line much longer. That happened at dead low tide around 630. Both boys took turns working the fish for about the first half hour. To my amazement we continued working the fish for another hour and a half. It was 830 and the light was disappearing fast. What a beautiful scene it was the pink/purple sky and a fish to remember. We got her close enough to do a leader touch (although there was none) and as much as I'd love to say that I put my hands on that beautiful fish she finally broke loose and swam off into the dark. We had 5+ foot of fraid line left to look at. No regrets whatsoever and the memories will last forever.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks day to remember

Post by Harmsway »

Wowee!
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Now that's just awesome! :thumbup:
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Very cool. There are some beautiful fish swimming in the ocean, but none have as much spirit and determination as the silver king. Great memory with your boys and pop. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Great story :thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Well worth the trip!!
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Awesome! Those kids will be telling that story for the rest of their lives!
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Congrats. I have hooked 2 of them on 15 lb. line, and neither of them stayed on but about 30 seconds. That is a memory those boys will never forget. :D
Yours in the South
wskybiz

Post by wskybiz »

Thanks for the comments fellas. I have a new found respect for a species I know little about. Very smart and determined. She tried using about every buoy in the area as a source of freedom. That beauty would not and did not give up at all. We were all just glad to see she swam away tired but healthy. Yes the boys have not stopped talking about it. BTW, I wanted to thank those boats that navigated cautiously around us during this ordeal. Lot of support and comradery which is highly appreciated !!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

CONGRATULATIONS, JUST A FEW PEOPLE HAVE A CHANCE TO SET A HOOK ON A TARPON IN A LIFE TIME. WHEN WE LIVED IN TAMPA, I USE TO HOOK THEM OFTEN, OF COURSE I WAS FISHING FOR THEM AT THE TIME. IF YA WANT TO HOOK A TARPON, PUT OUT AS YOUR BAIT A FLATHEAD CATFISH ABOUT 2 POUNDS, FREE LINE THAT BOOGER AND IF THERE ANY TARPON IN THE AREA SHE WILL PROBABLY NAIL THAT BOOGER. I ALWAYS USE 50# TEST BRAIDED NYLON MAIN LINE AND 100# TEST S.STEEL LEADER ABOUT 8 INCHES LONGER THAN MY ROD. CAUGHT A FEW OVER 175# THAT TOOK ALL NIGHT TO LAND, ONLY HAD A LITTLE 12 FT. PLYWOOD BOAT AND THEY WOULD PULL ME ALL OVER TAMPA BAY. I REMEMBER ONE THAT TOOK ME DOWN TO BRADENTON AND I HAD TO CALL MY WIFE TO COME PICK ME UP, MY LITTLE 2 1/2 H.P. JOHNSON ONLY CARRIED ENOUGH FUEL TO GO ABOUT 10 MILES. I SAW A VIDEO JUST THE OTHER DAY OF MANY ANGLERS DOWN AT FT. MEYERS FISHING FOR TARPON AND THAT WOULD DRIVE ME WILD TO HAVE PEOPLE RUNNING ALL OVER MY LINE TO GET A PICTURE OF THE TARPON I HAD HOOKED.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

that is something they will never forget
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I know some old salts who've never had the pleasure of fighting a tarpon.
You're spoiling your kids by putting them on the fish of a lifetime at such an early age!
JK, nice job! :thumbup:
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
FishnTim

Post by FishnTim »

Awesome memory for you and your boys!