New EPIRB - User Replaceable battery

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

zload
Site Sponsor

New EPIRB - User Replaceable battery

Post by zload »

In a recent post 38305 several of us were discussing PLB vs EPIRB and the issue of battery replacement came up. I noticed today that ACR has a new Class II EPIRB waiting for final FCC approval that has a 7 year user replaceable battery. Thought it might interest some of you who were actively looking for EPIRBS since the battery replacement cycle is somewhat of a block for some people... apparently you can't order just yet but probably soon if they are taking pre-orders. Depending on the cost of the battery that could make it much more cost effective for smaller boats. The EPIRB unit is pretty small at 8.6"x4.3"x3.6".

It would be nice to have something between a PLB and full blown EPIRB i.e. a PLB capable of floating and transmitting like an EPIRB but smaller with the shorter battery life of the PLB for coastal boaters on small craft but with the cost of the new EPIRBs falling below $400 the economics between the two are becoming a wash. If the USCG would allow PLBs or EPIRBs as an alternative to the flare/signal requirements I think more people would be inclined to buy them since the cost of flares and 3 year replacement cycles would cut the cost down on the beacons.

ACR 2831
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150