St Marks NWR - 23 August 2015

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

St Marks NWR - 23 August 2015

Post by Terrier »

Had a pretty good day at St Marks wading the wash bar - not in numbers but in size. There was a good mid-morning period of activity which from about 9:00 - 10:30 where I picked up 3 redfish, 2 at 28" and one at 21.5". The overslots fought hard and I saw backing on both, prob. due to the fact I was using a 7wt for both. I also got a small mangrove snapper. All fish came on an Olive/chart/white clouser, at the start of the outgoing tide. My son was fishing with spinning tackle and added a 19.5" redfish. He also got cut off, or broken off in the rocks 3 times by either redfish or perhaps a shark. All of his fish or strikes came on a gold spoon ( Aqua Dream Living Gold Spoon or a Johnson). For a while there, it was a redfish on every cast - it just took me a long time to land them on the 7wt.

A few pics:

28" Redfish #1

21.5 redfish:

28" redfish #2:
bpac
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks NWR - 23 August 2015

Post by bpac »

Great work. I'm hoping to get out on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Thats awesome !!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice work Terrier. I hollered and waved to you when we were coming in about 12:30
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Salty Gator wrote:Nice work Terrier. I hollered and waved to you when we were coming in about 12:30
Thanks - Nice seeing you out there - maybe this cool front will kick things off for the weekend!
pegleghooker

Post by pegleghooker »

Is the wash bar you mention, the long bar IFO lighthouse. do you wade over to it or kayak.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

pegleghooker wrote:Is the wash bar you mention, the long bar IFO lighthouse. do you wade over to it or kayak.
No - it's the bar along the boat ramp canal, about a 5 minute walk from the lighthouse. It's underwater at high tide but you can still wade it (waist deep except at the very end). You can see the bar at low tide.