where is the rock garden?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ertauber

where is the rock garden?

Post by ertauber »

I feel real silly asking this especially since I fish the St Marks area regularly but... " Where is the rock garden on the Navionics map?"
Last week I went out to the area off Stoney Bayou at high tide and could not find the rock garden. I could have waited the many hours for low tide but on that day (Thursday last) the low tide was only 1.6. Next time I see it I will mark it on my Navionics.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: where is the rock garden?

Post by DixieReb »

Just head East of St. Marks or West of Aucilla and go inside the buoys placed to mark the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge and you will find the Rock Garden. But I wouldn't go on low tide, and slow even on higher tides. That place is full of rocks. :cry: Great place to topwater fish, plenty of structure.
Yours in the South
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

You were close if you went southeast from the Stony channel. The Rock Garden is a wide expanse of limestone rocks, piles and boulders. You'll also run across some petrified outboard lower units and props out there, along with a shrine erected by the local mechanics. :)

Here are a couple coordinates to get you in the vicinity. A winter low tide is the best time to mark the majority, but it would probably take a lifetime to log each and every hazard. As many of us know, they get up and move around in the middle of the night. There have been some threads in the past with complete coordinates, although a quick search of the boating and fishing forums failed to turn them up.

Rock Garden 1
30 03 632
084 07 262

Rock Garden 2
30 03 650
084 07 284

These numbers are for general reference only. My lawyer and I will not be held liable if you find them or any others in the neighborhood using a fiberglass or aluminum sonar, i.e. your hull.

Best bet is to stay clear by at least three nautical miles. There are no fish in there anyway.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Don't you just go in by Dante's sign?

Last edited by zload on October 12th, 2015, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I can show you a few routes in there that are fairly safe to run.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Jumptrout51 wrote:I can show you a few routes in there that are fairly safe to run.
"If your insurance premiums are paid up and you don't mind pinging off a few!"

JK, JT. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I recently used the "Porter's Rock Guard" as intended, with great force. It did it's job, but was severely bent. I took it off as it was hindering flow to my water pump inlet and had every intention of having it repaired before my next trip. As things usually go, an opportunity to fish came before I got the guard repaired and installed. I was coming off plane in an area I had been at least fifty times before, and found the one rock I had never known about. Needless to say I needed to have the skeg repaired and a new rock guard made and installed.
Waivel Porter does fine work and in a very timely manner.
If you are planning to navigate the Rock Garden, do yourself a favor and make a trip to Porter's Marine before you go.