Wading the Big Bend

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

shreward

Wading the Big Bend

Post by shreward »

Anyone ever waded out of St. Marks Reserve or Mashes Sands area? I am looking to go out on the 4th or so, we may night fish but I would like to go out wading at a decent place. I'm without a boat, so I would appreciate some advice on areas with decent results from fishing off the shore.
I've had decent results at the lighthouse from a boat, but never waded there. Any pointers?
Thanks again. :-?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I have seen a lot of people wading around Mashes Sands but have never done it myself. I do know that I have seen some mighty big sharks out there and I don't plan on wading around out there with them :D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Folks do very well wading the jetty and bar out in front of the light house. The trick is to get out on a low tide and fish the incoming. Use live shrimp or pinfish. A 40" cobia was caught from the jetty earlier this year.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

shreward

Thanks

Post by shreward »

Thanks for the imput. I went out off the lighthouse on the 4th but there were A LOT of boats out and since we we close to the ramp the fishing wasn't to great for us because of the traffic. Hope you guys had better luck. I'll have to try again so day. Now I'm looking at trying Alligator Harbor with a small boat. :-?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Scallop season is probably not the best time to try it though because of the boat traffic. Guess I should have prefaced my first response with that.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Coming from Woodville, you may want to try Wakulla Beach. I have never fished it, but have heard of a lot of fish being caught from shore :D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”