Week in Argentina

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Week in Argentina

Post by MudDucker »

Man, this old man is worn out. A friend bought a hunt for five at a Cancer auction and invited me to be a part. We left on the 7th and returned in the wee hours yesterday the 15th. Group of 9 at the lodge killed 25k doves in 5 1/2 days of hunting. Never seen doves like that in my life. I had to get a cortisone shot on the Monday before leaving and felt great until the Friday before leaving, so it was not my best week of shooting. Still could not get the smile off of my face though. Three of our 5 got 1000 bird per day hats. Crazy flights to get there and back and after the checking returning yesterday, I don't think I'll need a certain health exam for awhile. Guards with automatic weapons in open display in the airports. I saw more doves in 15 minutes over one field than I've seen all year on good years in the States. At $14 a box for shells, it was an expensive pleasure, but it is worth it for one trip of a lifetime. Had great fund, but I am glad to be back around other english speaking gringos! :-D
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Danibeth

Re: Week in Argentina

Post by Danibeth »

Well cool. Glad to hear that you had a good time.

What did y'all do with the doves? Can you bring back dove, even meat? I don't think you can bring back ducks anymore without a special permit that you have to pick up in person in Buenos Aires. Not for sure on that one though.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

I've heard of those hunts. Must be a sight to see. Thanks for sharing.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Danibeth wrote:Well cool. Glad to hear that you had a good time.

What did y'all do with the doves? Can you bring back dove, even meat? I don't think you can bring back ducks anymore without a special permit that you have to pick up in person in Buenos Aires. Not for sure on that one though.
They said we couldn't bring them back. They cooked some for us there and I can tell you, I've had no better doves ever. The locals are all tired of eating doves, so the hogs get most of what the hawks and eagles don't get. We had swarms of hawks and eagles going after our downed birds. This was not the season for duck hunting. Had I chosen the date, I would have chosen on for a combo hunt. A couple of unfortunate ducks came over the field and two guys from S. Carolina could not resist, so I got to see 3 of their ducks first hand. Looked more like a goose. Huge bird with very nice brown plumage.
bman

Post by bman »

JEALOUS JEALOUS JEALOUS.... One day I want to go there for ducks!!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

bman wrote:JEALOUS JEALOUS JEALOUS.... One day I want to go there for ducks!!
My dream trip was a duck/dove combo. Their season is during out summer. However, a member of my Sunday School class purchased this hunt and was gracious enough to invite me.

There were a couple of ducks that came over the field. Only one left. They were large birds and looked like a duck/goose cross. I was not one who shot one. The last place I want to be is in a South American jail!

I don't know that I will ever go back, but if I do, it will be to duck hunt. I just wish the baja in Mexico wasn't so dangerous. That is an easy trip with a good chance of bagging the elusive cinnamon teal.
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

That's a shame about the ducks that got shot. The Argentine geese are small compared to our geese, but did the ones that got shot look like whistling ducks? They've got some gorgeous whistling ducks down there.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Danibeth wrote:That's a shame about the ducks that got shot. The Argentine geese are small compared to our geese, but did the ones that got shot look like whistling ducks? They've got some gorgeous whistling ducks down there.
They looked like a whistling duck, only slightly larger.