Whats your desired action in a rod?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dombern34
Site Sponsor

Whats your desired action in a rod?

Post by dombern34 »

as most of you know I make rods and this past year produced my own line of rods by a manufacture to be put in stores. now those rods where mostly for bass fishing techniques and didn't really help in the inshore world. this year for 2016 I'm coming out with another new line of rods and I'm adding an inshore series. my question is, what preferred action and length does everyone like? of course I have my few favorites but again I can't be my own customer. I do know what works well for me but everyone is different. I know I can't please everyone out there but I do enjoy getting feedback on what everyone likes.

just depending on what everyone post, the two actions I would like to carry and what works best for me are the following:

7'6 medium heavy Mod-Fast: this action has the backbone to turn a reds head and have control but also gives you a nice tip to cast lighter lures while at the same time giving you a parabolic bend in the rod for better control. it's just an all around great action.

7'2-7'4 Mag Med-light X-Fast: this action is great for trout. it's not a buggy whip but is limber enough to handle a trout and their soft mouth. I've caught plenty of redfish of this action and it did fine, but for light jig heads and popping corks this is the action to have. the Med-Light scares most people but because its a Mag taper "mag" it's not too limber and the x fast keeps the bend towards the tip which helps with throwing light tackle.

I haven't decided on a casting model yet, I do know some of your anglers will use a bait caster for different applications.

I appreciate your time and feedback!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Whats your desired action in a rod?

Post by Salty Gator »

I like the med/ heavy fast action you built for me last year. I use it for pulling reds off structure. It has a little more backbone than I like for a flats rod. Personally I like a faster tip that bends closer to the tip/ less parabolic. I bet that mag medium or even medium or medium light would be nice. Looking forward to seeing the new line
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

The mag med/light you built for me earlier this year has plenty of backbone to turn a red. It whipped a 24" red, the first day I used it, in nothing flat. Most of the rods I have would have made that fight last 5 or more minutes. That one was about 3.
Later that same trip it whooped a 24" Trout just as easily and I had no worries of a lost fish due to the mouth being ripped.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I would fish the Mag med/light 80% of the time. I am usually in a place where I try to feel the difference between a red thump and a trout tap and react accordingly. I jig fish the majority of the time (unless someone else is catching on spoon). I use a baitcaster on the lures usually.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Look at the lures tossed by most of us. Go back and pull up the favorite lure thread. Most folks are throwing things 1/4 ounce or less down to weightless flukes on a 5/0 hook. On the flats heavier lure just get tangled up in the grass on the bottom.
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

7ft or 7-6 med fast would be 60% of what folks use, then a 7ft ml-f, and a handful of mh. All the meds you built for me throw a jig/mirrodine/topwater just beautiful. And have plenty of power. I whole heartedly agree with rhettley. The mag ml would be a perfect rod for most applications, along with a med fast.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I sorta like my 7.5 mag m xf.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I appreciate the feedback, the lure weight isn't a big concern because both rods will cover the weight that everyone throws. the tip, along with the correct guides/guide placement, will launch whatever you're throwing.

the rod length is something else I'm trying to make my mind up on. I know distance is key in the wide open flats but a 7'6 isn't really the desired length for working a top water. also not every one is fishing a spinning rod on the flats, so I'm trying to cover everything I can.

keep in mind, the longer the rod, the more line you're picking up and moving the bait. the shorter the rod, the less line and less you're moving your bait. now I'm use to catering to bass guys where this is crucial. and it might not be a big deal to most people but for some people it can come down to the inch.

these rods are about ready to be put into production in the next couple of weeks.

I'm pretty sure 90% of everyone's rod has a cork handle. cork breaks down overtime and starts to pit. unless you seal it or put some type of finish on it. eva (foam ) is a little more durable but cork is prettier.

not everyone likes a split handle design either. which is another factor to think about.
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

All right guys lets give him what he wants, if you could pick two rods to go fishing with, What would you get? Cast spin doesn't matter. Length, power, action. What would you get?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

GLoomis Greewater Mag Medium. Far from cheap, but the best all around inshore rod you'll find. Light enough to work a small topwater, long enough to cast a country mile, and enough backbone to horse the biggest baddest redfish around.

Edit- Of course, I posted before reading the original post. I assumed you were looking to buy a rod, not build one to sell. That being said, same answer. Looks like you and I like the same kinds of rods already. If you can come close to duplicating the Greenwater Mag Medium for the right price, I'd be interested.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

red_yakker wrote:GLoomis Greewater Mag Medium. Far from cheap, but the best all around inshore rod you'll find. Light enough to work a small topwater, long enough to cast a country mile, and enough backbone to horse the biggest baddest redfish around.

Edit- Of course, I posted before reading the original post. I assumed you were looking to buy a rod, not build one to sell. That being said, same answer. Looks like you and I like the same kinds of rods already. If you can come close to duplicating the Greenwater Mag Medium for the right price, I'd be interested.
I have 3 gL pro green rods which have an almost identical blank that the greenwater has (just not that ugly green color), and I like the one Dom built for me better. Half the price and a ( now) much better warantee. Just sayin
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Mo Redd

Post by Mo Redd »

I guess I don't have enough recent experience to zero in on what I'd like as the perfect length/action. I have a very whippy Fenwick HMX 8'3" spinning rod that's fun to cast and retrieve, but with braid the line wraps around the tip and is aggravating to undo. I'd probably choose a 7 if in one piece and a 7'6" in two piece, fast tip and medium strength.
Mo Redd

Post by Mo Redd »

I guess I don't have enough recent experience to zero in on what I'd like as the perfect length/action. I have a very whippy Fenwick HMX 8'3" spinning rod that's fun to cast and retrieve, but with braid the line wraps around the tip and is aggravating to undo. I'd probably choose a 7 if in one piece and a 7'6" in two piece, fast tip and medium strength.