St. Marks Report

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rob4auburn

St. Marks Report

Post by rob4auburn »

It had been years since I had done cold weather trout fishing in the rivers. Probably late 90's at the Econfina. Moved away and moved back in 2007, got a boat in 2009 and just decided to try it this month at the St. Marks. Both times we had a blast.

Went on MLK day with my son. Went way up the river several bends past the power plant with no luck. On our way back, I saw a boat catch a trout just one bend up from the power plant. We anchored downstream from him and we started catching them after I put on a white grub with orange tail. We probably caught 20 with 6 keepers. Of course I missed the biggest one on a large live shrimp. Got greedy with the drag and over tightened.

So we went back this past Saturday - had 4 in the boat this time. Put in at 8:00 and just 1/4 mile up river from the fort ramp, I saw all kinds of activity on my sounder. I stopped the boat and we just drifted and we caught several sand trout. One nice size. Went 3-4 bends up from the power plant and anchored several places - nothing. Came back down to the spot we slayed them at on MLK day, nothing. Then we went down from the power plant and anchored up from the marina. I gave my son a tan colored salt water assassin grub and he started catching keepers. Six all by himself in about an hour! We all started catching them. Ended up with 9 nice specs - biggest was 17". Probably caught 40 all together. As we went back down river, I saw the same activity in the same spot on the sounder and we anchored right there and caught 4 nice size sand trout.

All in all, two really nice days fishing the St. Marks. Weather was great too with the sun coming out. I am 2 for 2! These days make up for the 0-for days!

I appreciate all the tips I got off this forum to make it look like I knew what I was doing.

Happy fishing all!
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks Report

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Sounds like you did just fine! The last time I fished there we caught only small trout where you said you caught the big ones on your last trip. Good to know they are still there. :smt004
Yours in the South
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks Report

Post by CoastalPirate »

Great job Rob! Glad to hear you slayed the St. Marks river!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate