Monday morning at St. Marks

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

randymullaly

Monday morning at St. Marks

Post by randymullaly »

Me and my wife dropped the new boat (new to us anyway) in at the Fort yesterday morning at low tide for a shake down run. Didn't have a lot of time but figured as long as we were there, might as well throw a couple of rods in the rod holders I mounted and do some trolling (my favorite way to fish the river in the winter time).
Ran across another couple in a small aluminum boat that we have chatted with in the past. They were also trolling and they were putting on a clinic on trolling for trout. While we were trolling gulp paddle tails on jig heads and having no success, these folks were trolling the same path and hooking up right and left and pulling in BIG trout. After about three trips up the path we were trolling I asked them what they were using. They said they were fishing rattle traps off a long line to get the bait down really deep. Just want to say "Thank You" to those folks that will share what works when you come across them while out on the water!
Can'tCatchAnything

Re: Monday morning at St. Marks

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

Nice, thanks for sharing. I've had luck in the past trolling Yozuri Crystal Minnows for trout near Crystal River; been wanting to try it up here.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

gotta love those that share that kind of info!!!

I know people absolutely crush it trolling the rivers in the winter, I just don't have the patience to roll along at 3-6kts with a rod in hand for stretches of water waiting on a smack. Hence why trolling the bottom offshore doesn't specifically appeal to me (though, tbh, I've only done a handful of times).

keep posting reports! (and next time, pictures! :D )
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

gotta love those that share that kind of info!!!

I know people absolutely crush it trolling the rivers in the winter, I just don't have the patience to roll along at 3-6kts with a rod in hand for stretches of water waiting on a smack. Hence why trolling the bottom offshore doesn't specifically appeal to me (though, tbh, I've only done a handful of times).

keep posting reports! (and next time, pictures! :D )
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

What kind of boat did you get Randy? I need to know who to wave to. :)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Post by CoastalPirate »

Nice to know Randy! Ill try that out next weekend if the weather holds up. :beer: :beer:
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Got a 20' Pro Angler (Sports Pro). Cant miss it. Red with a 200 V-Max on the back.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

randymullaly wrote:Got a 20' Pro Angler (Sports Pro). Cant miss it. Red with a 200 V-Max on the back.
Sweet boat......I will be on the look out for a red blur rocketing across the flats. :-D
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton