Steinhatchee Tips/Help

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rob4auburn

Steinhatchee Tips/Help

Post by rob4auburn »

Very fortunate that my wife and I will have 4 days and 3 nights in Steinhatchee this week with a dock on the river. I would love a few tips for where the trout and reds are now and what they may be biting. BTW - I have a terrible track record with catching reds - I would love a few tips. We only get to Steinhatchee once or twice a year - we usually fish out of St. Marks.

Thanks in advance for any tips some can offer. I promise to give reports and share anything that is working (or not!). :D
Swampcreek

Re: Steinhatchee Tips/Help

Post by Swampcreek »

I went a couple weekend ago, was catching reds with shrimp on the bottom. Catching trout with a gold spoon and chartreuse jig with gulps.
rob4auburn

Post by rob4auburn »

Thanks Swampcreek. Any tips on where you were? In the river? Flats? Depth? Incoming/outgoing?

Thanks in advance.
coreypnich

Post by coreypnich »

Last Saturday we managed a strong limit of trout with our biggest being 23". There are few trout in the river but most are on the flats. We were fishing deeper ditches running through the shallower flats. Its hard to really tell you an exact spot, but use your depthfinder if you have one. We had the best luck in stained water instead of clear. Live shrimp didn't do much for us, we caught most of our fish on a nuclear chicken gulp mudminnow under a cork. New penny worked well also. We had a couple good fish on jigs on the bottom as well. As for reds, find a good rocky or shell bottom and try the same rigs as trout. Also mirrodines, soft jerkbaits, and live shrimp have produced a couple good reds lately. Hope this helps and good luck!
rob4auburn

Post by rob4auburn »

Thanks for the tips coreypnich. I do have a depth finder and I will look for the deep holes/troughs.
Swampcreek

Post by Swampcreek »

I was casting on an oyster bed on the right, near the mouth of the big water. I couldn't get anything up in the creeks, but I'm a nooby too..