Gag grouper size limit change and season set

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Gag grouper size limit change and season set

Post by Dubble Trubble »

From the FWC site today!

FWC approved the following changes to gag and black grouper at the February Commission meeting:

Setting a 24-inch total length minimum size limit for recreational harvest of gag and black grouper in Gulf state waters :smt011

Setting a June 1 through Dec. 31 recreational season for gag grouper in all state waters of the Gulf excluding Franklin, Wakulla, Taylor and Jefferson counties (which have their own season from April 1-June 30) and excluding Monroe County (Monroe County follows the Atlantic state season)

From what I understand, the FED waters size limit will change also. Nothing definite on that yet.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
grasshopper

Re: Gag grouper size limit change and season set

Post by grasshopper »

Don't know if anybody noticed but we're getting the shaft here in our four county area. The rest of the state is going to get six months of open season and we get three. October and November are prime times in our state waters and we need to be included in those months. We need to make the fwc aware of this discrepancy.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

grasshopper wrote:Don't know if anybody noticed but we're getting the shaft here in our four county area. The rest of the state is going to get six months of open season and we get three. October and November are prime times in our state waters and we need to be included in those months. We need to make the fwc aware of this discrepancy.
Just make sure you are out past 9 miles and catch them then. Oh, and you got to go straight out there, and come straight back. No stops inside the 9 miles...or you will be guilty until proven innocent!

They screwed us when they started this shifted season. I used to go and catch trout in the am, then go out and get grouper at noon, then come back in and trout fish some more in the evening.

Made the trip worthwhile. Lately, I am thinking of just selling the boat! :smt011
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

The size change goes into effect later this spring, not opening weekend (as I read it). Hope they publish something that explains it a little clearer.
Mo Redd

Post by Mo Redd »

So from July through December you can launch from Wakulla County, go into international waters, catch keeper gags and return to a Wakulla County boat-launch and not get busted, as long as you don't stop to do any fishing in state waters?
M_briggs

Post by M_briggs »

http://gulfcouncil.org/fishing_regulati ... atrix.html

As long as you never stop and fish in state waters once you have a gag on board. Granted you will have to explain all this to FWC while they are checking your cooler.
timeout

Post by timeout »

and now a 6 day red snapper season on top of this ?