Solar Power System

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Solar Power System

Post by MudDucker »

Ok, I want to hear a real world solutions to this problem.

I bought an old house on the ground that is on the gulf. The county has adopted the FEMA rules and they are very restrictive as to what they will allow. In order to max out what I want to do, I am actually having to build my back porch disconnected from the house. To add to that, the permitting department says they will not issue an electrical permit to connect any fixture (fans or lights) in the structure to utilities and that it must stand alone. She suggested solar and I asked her if a generator would do. She grudgingly admitted that while noise and a polluter, it would qualify (more government stupidity).

I have a generator that would easily pull whatever I wanted to use, but it is true, that while quiet, it would create some noise. So, I am thinking about a solar system that would run enough lights to will light a 30X12 porch and at least 2 ceiling fans both during daylight hours and after dark. I can use the gen set to offer back up. What experience has anyone had doing this, what materials did you use to create the system and where did you get it.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Solar Power System

Post by silverking »

Well, my application isn't nearly as big as a porch, but here's my solar experience for what it's worth.

My boat shed didn't have power and with the new skiff and a 12-volt, 55# trolling motor, I certainly didn't want to have to remove and reinstall a heavy gel battery (odyssey) each time to charge it every time I wanted to use the boat. So I did some research and settled on a Coleman 12-volt solar panel (purchased through Tractor Supply). Since you can't turn off the sun, I also ordered the companion regulator panel (through Amazon for a better price; Tractor Supply had them too). Installed both in the boat shed and the system is working like a champ. Free juice and my trolling motor battery is topped off whenever I get ready to use it. One caveat with gel batteries though. Make sure the regulator has a selector switch for gel. Otherwise, on a lead setting, it'll cook the battery to a crisp and shorten the life.

Again, it's not a porch and higher power drain, but my initial experience with solar charging has been great. They make all sizes of panels and they are weather/fracture/hail resistant. See them all the time now on the interstate to power the digital billboards for traffic alerts, etc. so don't see why you couldn't get one with enough juice to power your needs at the beach cottage. It won't work at night, obviously, but even on cloudy days the panel generates enough to run stuff so it's definitely an option worth considering. I know when I build my retirement home I'll be installing enough panels to live off the grid for as long as need be when a storm (or the zombie hordes) knock regular power out.

Have about $175 in the system for panel, regulator and wiring/clamps/hardware. I built the mounting frame for the regulator out of scrap 1 X 6. If I go somewhere remote to fish and need to charge the battery I have a regular charger with a drop cord. Didn't need it though during my recent trip to the Everglades. The MotorGuide Xi5/Odyssey combo lasts forever.

SK
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

I'm thinking that an extension cord setup would circumvent the code issues. If you added 3 dedicated 15 amp outlets to the exterior of the house, that would create the potential for 3-15 amp circuits on the porch to be powered from the house when the extension cords are plugged into the outlets. You might not need 3, I was just throwing that out as a possibility. 1 for outlets, 1 for fans and lights, and maybe 1 for a refrigerator. Set up the porch wiring as if it was going to run off a generator, and then use extension cords to the house outlets as if it were the generator. I don't see how they could tell you that you can't use those outlets for your porch. I don't think it would be any of their business what they were used for.
bman

Post by bman »

reelhandy wrote:I'm thinking that an extension cord setup would circumvent the code issues.
:thumbup:

As the home inspector says... "Non Standard wiring"
Also LED lights could really lighten the load on the system.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

reelhandy wrote:I'm thinking that an extension cord setup would circumvent the code issues. If you added 3 dedicated 15 amp outlets to the exterior of the house, that would create the potential for 3-15 amp circuits on the porch to be powered from the house when the extension cords are plugged into the outlets. You might not need 3, I was just throwing that out as a possibility. 1 for outlets, 1 for fans and lights, and maybe 1 for a refrigerator. Set up the porch wiring as if it was going to run off a generator, and then use extension cords to the house outlets as if it were the generator. I don't see how they could tell you that you can't use those outlets for your porch. I don't think it would be any of their business what they were used for.
Don't think that I haven't thought about this, but I'm afraid Barry is right. I think I can get them to let me put in at least 1 exterior outlet, but I doubt 3.

Barry, I was planning on LED lighting. The lake house I built about 3 years ago has nothing but LED's in all but 3 places and there was no LED's for those places as least not yet.

I have a system to keep the batteries on my boat charged, but I don't know about the regulator. Silverking, do your know what make and model your regulator is.

I think the biggest draw will be the ceiling fans.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The regulator is also a Coleman, MD. It is the Sunforce 30-amp/12-volt, Model #68032. $78 on Amazon.

I miscalculated my costs in the system. Probably have closer to $200 when all said and done. Small investment though, for free juice from here on out.
41uR5avJr5L.jpg
41uR5avJr5L.jpg (30.08 KiB) Viewed 2356 times
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

You need a permit to hard wire the porch into the house panel. You don't need a permit to use an extension cord on the outside of your house. None of they're business. Leave it unplugged when you aren't there.
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

I wasn't thinking that the extension cords would be installed as "permanent" wiring. If they will let you add a single duplex 120 volt exterior outlet to the house you could actually power that outlet off of 2 separate 15 amp circuits from the house panel. When you want to use the porch you get out the extension cord, hook it up and plug it in. If they would allow a generator, they have to allow a way to connect the generator to the porch. The power from your outside plug is the same as from your generator.
Solar would work, but keep in mind that you have to be able to store enough energy to power your needs at night from batteries. Battery voltage and a typical ceiling fan aren't compatible, so you have to have a power inverter to convert the 12 volt DC power in the batteries that you stored from the solar panels to 120 volt AC. I don't know the costs, but I'm thinking solar for the porch would cost a lot.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I like the extension cord idea so I will look into it some more. The lady in permitting was very emphatic about not permitting the porch to be connected to the house, but maybe she can only control permanent wiring. That would be a lot easier to deal.

I am going to rig a solar for my boat batteries no matter what.