why all the wind?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ertauber

why all the wind?

Post by ertauber »

I am not a meteorologist but I sure would like to know what conditions are the cause of so much wind the past two weeks. Any ideas or facts?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: why all the wind?

Post by silverking »

El Niño.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Yes this wind has been frustrating. On the bright side by mid-April, the winds start calming from my experience. I'm no Al Roker (tv weather guy), but I looked it up on weatherunderground.com for the past 12 years or so. Avg. wind speed is 5 to 7 mph for March 17 to Apr. 17 period each year in St. Marks. For this year, 2007 and 2010 the average is on the high end at 7 mph. This time of year we get cold air still coming down from the north mixing with the warmer, humid air as the Gulf heats up. Makes for some fast moving fronts and wild conditions, like the the dramatic golfball and softball sized hail i witnessed in San Antonio this week! In the Bible, Jesus warns and promises that at the end of the age there will be crazy things like noticeable increases in earthquakes, disease and rough seas, Luke 21:25 “...On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea." Sounds bad for fishing. So in summary, I think this is normal, but I'm going to church just in case. :-)
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

It always blows like crazy in the spring. You usually get 5 days of windy conditions and 2 days of decent conditions per week. Once late april and early may hit it usually lays down for the summer. May through September should be nice with the usual 15-20 knot SW seabreeze cranking up every day around 2pm.
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Ditto what JHults said... with nearly 15 years fishing the region I'll just add that Murphy's Law dictates the days that are windy are Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, SATURDAY, AND SUNDAY, with the 2 day crazy calm conditions starting on Monday just as those of us who have jobs pull in to park at work.

If it's a holiday week with the holiday falling on Monday then you can expect an additional windy day to be tagged on after Sunday, with the calm two day period starting on Tuesday and it will be followed by 4 windy days, before starting the 2 calm / 5 day windy pattern again.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

big bend gyrene wrote:Ditto what JHults said... with nearly 15 years fishing the region I'll just add that Murphy's Law dictates the days that are windy are Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, SATURDAY, AND SUNDAY, with the 2 day crazy calm conditions starting on Monday just as those of us who have jobs pull in to park at work.

If it's a holiday week with the holiday falling on Monday then you can expect an additional windy day to be tagged on after Sunday, with the calm two day period starting on Tuesday and it will be followed by 4 windy days, before starting the 2 calm / 5 day windy pattern again.
The winner :thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I was at Daytona Beach all weekend and this old man has NEVER seen this much sustained wind at this time of the year. There were 8 foot breakers on the beach. Usually only see those with a hurricane offshore. :o
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!