Full Moon Fishing at Night in the Gulf

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SS-342
Site Sponsor

Full Moon Fishing at Night in the Gulf

Post by SS-342 »

I've always wanted to fish at night, on the full moon in the gulf. Last Saturday the moon was full and so beautiful. Has anyone tried it and what was your results? Are the fish more active at night when the moon is full?
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Full Moon Fishing at Night in the Gulf

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Always wanted too but not tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Have fished for swordfish in the Keys and tuna in the central Gulf at night. Fishing was good, but those two species are nocturnal feeders mainly.

Haven't tried it inshore in our local waters. Too scary for me since I couldn't see those rocks that scoot and sashay around after daylight hours even on the brightest of moons. :o
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

SS-342 wrote:I've always wanted to fish at night, on the full moon in the gulf. Last Saturday the moon was full and so beautiful. Has anyone tried it and what was your results? Are the fish more active at night when the moon is full?
We've done it a few times with mixed results. The main issue we had ( offshore) was current. It can be so swift that it carries your chum hundreds of yards before it gets down to the fish. Maybe sand balls would help, but we didn't bring sand. I've been trying to figure out offshore tides competed to inshore so we can fish when the current slows a little, but I've had no luck with that. There are a lot of offshore guys w way more experience than me, but most of them don't seem to know how to time it either. We've done really well and really poorly inshore and offshore fishing at night. One thing, if you do go, plan on everything ( like catching bait ) taking twice as long as it does during the day. Also the pins were harder to catch at night. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was thinking more of inshore fishing on the flats.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

Its pretty neat offshore but I'd highly recommend you take someone who's done it before. Navigating at night is totally different animal. We had some underwater lights that preformed fairly well but over all had limited results. Nothing on the grouper and didn't realize they really don't bite much at night being that they're primarily ambush predators and want to see what they're eating. Had a school of squid come by and visit. If we would of had a dip net we could have filled multiple coolers. There must have 10k if there was 1. It was a neat experience. If you doing the inshore thing... fish the lights under others docks and have fun.
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

As I understand it, back in the day when it was legal, the preferred method of commercial fishing for seatrout was to troll big silver spoons on the flats at night.

I've always wanted to go out on a night with the right wind to slowly drift you in some good grassy 3-5ft of water and throw a Super Spook or some other noisy topwater. Bet there's some big ones out there on the prowl
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

We've done in inshore a couple of times, it can be a blast. Less hot for sure. Topwater was out for us bc when we went the floating grass was so bad, plugs were impossible to use. We used some lures with glow and a cork w lights. Neither did a thing. Regular colors and corks w no lights definitely out performed the glow/lights.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Haven't done it in years, but went a couple of times to the middle grounds and fished all night with great results.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

[quote="J Holden"]As I understand it, back in the day when it was legal, the preferred method of commercial fishing for seatrout was to troll big silver spoons on the flats at night.

Are you saying it would be illegal to troll a big silver spoon on the flats at night now days? That sounds like it might work! It must work if they did it in passed days.

I've seen a lots of wonderful sights at night while at sea in the Navy. I was on a submarine so didn't get to see much top water sights at night but what I saw were exciting. I had thought about fishing the Harvest moon in October, weather permitting but coming home from Keaton Saturday the moon was full and bright giving me that urge again. It's about like the sound of a freight train in the thirties to a hobo. Had better google it and see what can be found!

Thanks again for all the interesting post.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Love the flats around Econfina at night! Problem is being attentive to fishing and not just watching the sky as it is so awesome. Wind and floating grass are the most frequent negatives. When you can fish topwater be prepared for sounds seldom heard! Fish the same areas at night as daytime. Be very comfortable with your GPS and orient with the few tower lights that can be seen when the weather is clear. If it gets too windy be prepared to anchor down till daylight or take nap and just drift. Be sure and prepare a GPS track into and out of the river in case of fog, etc. Everyone should try it. When navigating I have found the less light the better!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

SS-342 wrote:
J Holden wrote:As I understand it, back in the day when it was legal, the preferred method of commercial fishing for seatrout was to troll big silver spoons on the flats at night.

Are you saying it would be illegal to troll a big silver spoon on the flats at night now days? That sounds like it might work! It must work if they did it in passed days.

I've seen a lots of wonderful sights at night while at sea in the Navy. I was on a submarine so didn't get to see much top water sights at night but what I saw were exciting. I had thought about fishing the Harvest moon in October, weather permitting but coming home from Keaton Saturday the moon was full and bright giving me that urge again. It's about like the sound of a freight train in the thirties to a hobo. Had better google it and see what can be found!

Thanks again for all the interesting post.
I was referring to commercial fishing for sea trout ;-)
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

fishing offshore is fun. You can hammer mangroves. Freshwater is also fun.

Inshore has been less fun for me, but I wasn't patient enough to float corks on the flats. Everytime a plug was in the air, floating, etc it was swarmed by bats. Shorelines were hard to see and distance hard to judge. Bugs were fierce. I decided it was better to rest up and be there at sunrise.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

RHTFISH wrote:Love the flats around Econfina at night! Problem is being attentive to fishing and not just watching the sky as it is so awesome. Wind and floating grass are the most frequent negatives. When you can fish topwater be prepared for sounds seldom heard! Fish the same areas at night as daytime. Be very comfortable with your GPS and orient with the few tower lights that can be seen when the weather is clear. If it gets too windy be prepared to anchor down till daylight or take nap and just drift. Be sure and prepare a GPS track into and out of the river in case of fog, etc. Everyone should try it. When navigating I have found the less light the better!
is it pretty much a full moon event, or can it be productive during other moon phases?
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

What I found out on a google search. Night fishing is best on dark nights with a light hung over the side of an anchored boat. The light draws minnows and they draw fish. Fishing is done in ten foot water straight down over the side, under the boat. No casting.

Nothing like I had in mind!

It was recommended to have a generator to run the lights. My question…..a generator makes a lot of noise so why not just run the boat engine on idle to keep the battery charged?

There is a lot about this subject I will need to learn.

Aye on the insects showboat. Were you close to shore? Maybe a few miles out wouldn't be as bad?
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP