Flounder gigging tips?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ted in Tallahassee

Flounder gigging tips?

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

Other than being in shallow water on a calm night with a Q-Beam or other bright lights, anyone care to share some tips on how to go about trying this? I'm wanting to do it out of the St. Marks area. Is there a preferable tide, or type of bottom, or technique? Would sandy bottom areas around various creek mouths (Big Cove, Stoney Bayou, Horn's Creek etc.) be good to try in early evening? What about in the creeks, like up in Big Cove?

Thanks gents for any tips.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: Flounder gigging tips?

Post by onefishtwofish »

bbb is your flounder gigging expert. Lights under the water are 10 times better than even a Q beam above. You can rig them pretty cheap with some pvc and 12 volts. He knows way more than me. I would pm him.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
bbb

Flounder gigging tips?

Post by bbb »

Best to mount some lights on the deck of your boat whether they are led, halogen or hps. Moving a spot light with your hand is just too inconsistent. Flounder can be found on any bottom type. St Marks area is best on around a high tide.

Don't expect to fill the boat until you get some time in. Took me 2 years to finally come home with 10 flounder. But after 5-6 years of learning, you can expect to get a limit 60% of the time.

It involves staying out from dark til 2 or 3 am most times. Its not easy or everyone would be doing it.

If your time limit is 1-2 hours, expect to come home with 1-3 fish each time. They are not stacked up out there. You might get 1 fish every 30-50 yards.