July 1st - July 4th in Panacea/St. Marks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

YankeeFlyGuy

July 1st - July 4th in Panacea/St. Marks

Post by YankeeFlyGuy »

I will be down with my family this coming July and I want to take the kids fishing. We have fished Wolley Park Pier and some private docks in St. Teresa before but I would like to do something different this time. I really liked walking out to the point at St. Marks out by the lighthouse and it seemed like guys were having good luck out there so that might be an option.

Can someone tell me what would be running that time of year and what rigs/baits would work best just shore fishing? I can fly fish or cast, but the kids (7 and 11) will probably want to use a float or fish off bottom.

Thanks!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: July 1st - July 4th in Panacea/St. Marks

Post by silverking »

All kinds of options, with trout, redfish, bluefish, ladyfish and jacks topping the list. Be careful out there though with the kids. Some big sharks also frequent those waters.

Shrimp, pinfish or cut-bait under a popping cork should keep the juniors interested. Topwater Skitter Walks or Heddon Super Spooks in the casting department, along with small poppers and Clouser minnow variations.

Do a search in the fly-fishing section for Terrier's posts. He's the master of the point and often includes good photos of patterns in his reports. If you PM him, he'll probably add much more.

Another option would be the public ramp at Mashes Sands county park. Deeper water and you might even hook into a tarpon.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
YankeeFlyGuy

Post by YankeeFlyGuy »

Awesome! Thanks!

The public ramp at Mashes Sands as in the one about 3 or 4 blocks before the dead end on the right or is there another one? If I remember correct it's like an inlet. Fish near the ramp or the back of that peninsula?

I will PM him for sure.

Thanks again. I am trying to get the kids interested in the area for an impending move down to take a job in June of 2018.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

That's the one. Fish off the pier into the bay. The inlet might hold an occasional flounder and baitfish but too much boat traffic for much else. You can also fish the beach off the end of Mashes Sands with similar action expected as the Lighthouse jetty. The beach and nearby creeks at Wakulla Beach is another possibility. Use Google Maps satellite version. They are a great source for on-line scouting.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
YankeeFlyGuy

Post by YankeeFlyGuy »

Thank you very much.
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Bald Point also a good option, right off the beach. Caught lots of reds there, trout too.
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

Williamsdad wrote:Bald Point also a good option, right off the beach. Caught lots of reds there, trout too.
x2 on Bald Point
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
YankeeFlyGuy

Post by YankeeFlyGuy »

:thumbup:

Thanks!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Scallop season will be open and they would enjoy that as a bonus to cool off. I use the fort ramp at St Marks. Scallop on the rock garden area(look for the armada) and fish out by the stake line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toonfisher

Post by Toonfisher »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:Scallop season will be open and they would enjoy that as a bonus to cool off. I use the fort ramp at St Marks. Scallop on the rock garden area(look for the armada) and fish out by the stake line.

So how shark infested is this area for scalloping??
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Toonfisher wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:So how shark infested is this area for scalloping??
Fish enough there with live bait and you'll catch one. No attacks reported that I know of...

Are there bull sharks in the area? yes.
Are there black-tips in the area? yes.
Are there hammerheads in the area? eh', sometimes further out...

Should you be worried about them, sure... but its the ocean, we're in their land. Stay cautious and don't jump in a pod of bait fish and you'll be ok. Always keep one on the boat to keep an eye out for other boaters and men in the grey suit and you'll be ok.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Toonfisher

Post by Toonfisher »

Yeah. We catch sharks (1-2 ft ) at Keaton. Same area we scallop in during season. No doubt they are there. Just didn't know if it was over ran. Of course I realize that we are in their house. I always stay vigilant of all the things you mentioned. However gray suits don't bother me. I stay legal. But it's annoying getting checked and wasting valuable fishing time.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Toonfisher wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:Scallop season will be open and they would enjoy that as a bonus to cool off. I use the fort ramp at St Marks. Scallop on the rock garden area(look for the armada) and fish out by the stake line.

So how shark infested is this area for scalloping??
. We have be scalloping for 15 years and have never seen or had an encounter with a shark while doing it. Sharks prefer to hunt in murky water where they prey can't see them coming. Where you scallop the water is clear.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Did get into a swarm of jellyfish once. It was like finding Nemo. Not fun.

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Hit-n-Miss wrote: We have be scalloping for 15 years and have never seen or had an encounter with a shark while doing it. Sharks prefer to hunt in murky water where they prey can't see them coming. Where you scallop the water is clear.
Does your swim mask have blinders built in? :lol:

Have seen plenty of sharks in the clear water on the East Flats where the scallopers congregate. But as mentioned previously, if you pay attention and be careful you shouldn't have any problem. One tip I'd add is whenever you do get ready to clean the scallops on the water, move away from the fleet so you're not adding chum (scallop guts) to area. And be sure to have all required dive flags and licenses.