Popping cork

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rebel10

Popping cork

Post by rebel10 »

Hey everyone, im new to the board. I get to hit the flats about 3 or 4 times a year. I would like to know how everyone rigs a shrimp and pin fish under a cork. Jigghead, circle, etc? Ive used a jighead in the past with decent success but I have missed a lot of fish as well. Any tips would be great. Thanks!
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Re: Popping cork

Post by ugadawg »

3/0 Octopus is my preferred method.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

For pins under a cork I use a circle hook ( hook size depends on bait size) and usually hook in front of the dorsal. Free lining I go though the nose cartilage, or behind the dorsal or caudate fin if you want it to dive. For shrimp, you can use a 1/0 circle hook and hook in the head( thru the mouth out the top of head or side to side under the horn. Don't hit the black spot( brain). A shrimp won't last long this time of year, the bait stealers will make sure of that. You may have better luck w a gulp shrimp on a 1/8 oz jig under a cork or not. Pins may work , but sharks and other undesirable fish may make it tough. Don't be afraid to go artificial, Topwater or suspending plugs and spoons will get it done. Go early or late. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Depending on what depth you are in, try to fish it close to bottom. I like to pop my cork every once in a while in case a fish is following it, helps draw strikes. :wink:
Yours in the South
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Another technique Ive had success with is using a long drop (fishing 5' of water with a 5' drop) under a popping cork but rather than throwing and popping, throw and use a very slow steady retrieve. Not just trout but spanish will hit it as well. JUst don't want to leave it sitting in one place because the pin fish will eat it up in no time.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I've had better luck with them in water that is a little choppy and a good drift going. Seems to make the bait look more alive as it bounces along. A big trout will just about snatch it out of the boat! :smt004
Yours in the South
Phil. 4:8

Post by Phil. 4:8 »

Or, you could tie on about 3' of leader under the cork, put on a 1/8 oz.bullet weight, tie on you 1.0 circle hook, bite the tail off the shrimp and hook the shrimp in the tail from bottom to top of body (easier to cast and they don't come off as easy). Just another option.
rebel10

Post by rebel10 »

Wow thanks for all the great advice everyone!