KAYAKING BAITS OUT FROM SURF...NEED HELP

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DOC23

KAYAKING BAITS OUT FROM SURF...NEED HELP

Post by DOC23 »

I have recently purchased 2 reels...Penn Senator 6/0 & 9/0, for surf shark fishing. What is a reasonable distance to yak out each rig? Meaning my reel holds say 1,000 yards line. Is it safe to say 1/4 of line..250 yards? or more? I will primarily be fishing the flats of Alligator Point and Bald Point Region. Also will be rigging my reels up with 100 lb braid...but how many yards TOPSHOT and What pounds to use to use.......? any certain brand better than others? Thanks..any help is APPRECIATED!!!
Yakattack

Re: KAYAKING BAITS OUT FROM SURF...NEED HELP

Post by Yakattack »

I'm not entirely sure how far out to kayak the baits, my guess would be at least 150/200 yards out so the bait will stay out there and won't roll down the shore too bad. BlackTipH on youtube spools his reels 2/3 full with braid and the rest mono, and he regularly catches some monster sharks and goliath grouper.
DOC23

Post by DOC23 »

I guess in the area I fish it doesn't really matter due to very little current and no waves.
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

I usually drop mine about 150 - 200 yards off. However, I've had bites less than 30 yds from shore, so it may not really matter.
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Past the 3rd sandbar when fishing from beach. 100 lb topshot. Read the Texas Sharkfishing handbook or check out extremecoast.com. Oz catches some monster sharks from the beach. I catch 6-10 sharks a year in the 5-8 foot range on casted baits, so you don't have to get them too far out. Get a tail rope and leave the hook.
reelsorry2
Site Sponsor

Post by reelsorry2 »

please take your shark fishing to deeper water.lots of kids use these waters for swimming. whats the good of pulling in a shark and letting him go in shallow water where familys are enjoying a day at the beach.
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

reelsorry2 wrote:please take your shark fishing to deeper water.lots of kids use these waters for swimming. whats the good of pulling in a shark and letting him go in shallow water where familys are enjoying a day at the beach.

Saw this one coming..........
DOC23

Post by DOC23 »

Where I fish..lots of Bulls and Stingrays..rarely see anyone in the water. Can't even see your foot in a foot of water lol...the Octlockonee river is putting out alot of sediment...great Redfish,Trout,tarpon fishing.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Try this forum...http://www.southfloridasharkclub.com/fo ... m.php?f=21 These folks share a lot of info from, bait, to leaders, tackle, techniques, etc...
DOC23

Post by DOC23 »

Thank You FishinFool
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

reelsorry2 wrote:please take your shark fishing to deeper water.lots of kids use these waters for swimming. whats the good of pulling in a shark and letting him go in shallow water where familys are enjoying a day at the beach.
Is this a joke?
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

onefishtwofish wrote:
Is this a joke?
This is why I said I saw this comment coming.
I have been fishing like this for 25 years and have always had people tell me I was attracting sharks in to the shallows. People are pretty ignorant in thinking that sharks dont live in that close. I guess they figure our baits bring the shark from 50 miles out. :lol:
reelsorry2
Site Sponsor

Post by reelsorry2 »

Please stop by my house 2 cobia baldpoint only house on street. Be glad to teach you a lesson on calling people ignorant.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

:pop_1
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

So reel, do you honestly think that sharks are not there until someone dunks some bait there? And that a caught shark once released stays and feeds in the immediate vicinity? That is just erroneous. Sharks are everywhere and catching them, if it has any effect (which I doubt) would tend to push them off, not attract them. (this is of course assuming no one is actively chumming, which would be inconsiderate and potentially dangerous).

The person fishing for and catching whiting, is more likely to attract sharks by gill hooking them and releasing blood and people do that at St. George all the time.

Unless it was a joke and then, you got me.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?