Frontier vs. Robalo Cayman 206

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hardhead

Re: Frontier vs. Robalo Cayman 206

Post by hardhead »

Thanks silverking. When the day comes, trim tabs it is.

You mention you test boats for a living. Sounds like an awesome job! Have you tested either of these two boats and what's your opinion?

FR Pirate..do you have to carefully pick your days thst you take that xpress out to the flats . Cause I looked hard at xpress bay series before I decided to look at fiberglass.
DAWG FAN

Post by DAWG FAN »

hardhead wrote:Hey dawg fan. Just noticed your signature profile. You live in Dawson. I'm in Albany.
I have a Dawson address but I'm only 1.5 miles from Lee County and 6 miles west of Albany Mall.
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2013 40 HP Mercury Bigfoot
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Wise decision on the tabs. You won't regret it.

I do FishAbility boat tests mainly for Salt Water Sportsman and occasionally Boating magazines. I also get to fish a bunch. As the saying goes...it's a dirty job but someone has to do it.

I did test the 26 Robalo center console awhile back and I was impressed with the performance, plus fit and finish. Have not run the model you are considering. Robalo is doing a good job building their latest generation of bays and CCs.

Haven't had the opportunity to test a Frontier. I am doing the new Stamas 37 Aegean Express in a couple weeks if you'd like some feedback on that one. Suspect it will draft just a tad more than you're looking for, however. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

silverking wrote:EVERY boat can benefit from having trim tabs. Invaluable for adjusting to sea state, load and improve planing attitude. I wouldn't own a boat without tabs and I test boats for a living.
When mine looks like this on pad - trim tabs don't help much :wink: :lol:

Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Frontier vs. Robalo Cayman 206

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Flint River Pirate on July 31st, 2016, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Jolly Mon
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Chalk wrote:
silverking wrote:EVERY boat can benefit from having trim tabs. Invaluable for adjusting to sea state, load and improve planing attitude. I wouldn't own a boat without tabs and I test boats for a living.
When mine looks like this on pad - trim tabs don't help much :wink: :lol:

That's not a boat, that's a flying saucer! :lol: OK, I'll modify that statement. There are a few exceptions, like flat-bottom skiffs and rocket ships, but very few.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

No kidding. Glad that dude has his hat on backwards.

Can I throw a monkey wrench in this discussion. I think I'm over the frontier.

How would y'all weigh in on a robalo 206 vs 2015 sea hunt bx 22 br.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I have tested that Sea Hunt model and it is built like a tank. Heavy layup with tad more freeboard, smooth ride, family-owned company. Great fit and finish. If you are wanting more length/room and price/horsepower being comparable, the Sea Hunt is a good choice. You really can't go wrong with either the Robalo or Sea Hunt, although the Robalo will have a slight edge in terms of draft for the flats. The Sea Hunt would be more capable of runs out to the towers, shoals, etc. Really comes down to your budget and how you'll use the boat for the majority of the time. Don't forget your tow vehicle, either. Make sure you'll be able to easily pull whatever you buy.
Last edited by silverking on July 15th, 2016, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Thanks silverking. I really appreciate the opinion.

I had just run accross a 2015 sea hunt yesterday with very low hours on it and fully rigged out for a dang fair if not good price and so briefly thought about it over the robalo. Being that I could get a bigger fully set up boat for the same price as the new robalo. And this sounds stupid, but it's got the custom hardtop T-Top on it and where I will be using the boat 80% of the time in a fresh water lake, I can't go under a train tressel with the T-Top. Gotta have a Bimini. And I hate it cause that sea hunt was decked out!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

You're welcome. That's the way it goes sometimes. Like I said earlier, the Robalo is a good choice as well.

Good luck and post up pix of your new ride when you get it.
DAWG FAN

Post by DAWG FAN »

Hey Silver King. Have you tested the Nautic Star 214XTS SB or the 20' Blue Wave Pure Bay? These are the 2 I am looking at right now.
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Sorry, but I haven't ridden on either of those two. Both companies have good reputations though.
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Thanks again guys! I've been lurking and reading big bend forums for a couple years now. Really like all the local knowladge it provides.

I'll definitely post some pics once the deal goes down. Sounds like those robalos are hot cakes right now. Prob gonna have to order one and wait a while. Oh well.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.
DAWG FAN

Post by DAWG FAN »

HH, I don't know how far you are willing to travel but Anglers Marine in Supply, N.C. has some Caymans in stock and I will tell you they are great to deal with. I bought a new Sea Fox 200XT from them a few years back and the deal went down over the phone. They ordered the boat as requested and I had them deck it out with all the toys, their install guy is top notch. I didn't have 1 complaint through the whole ordeal, everything went smooth as anyone could ask for. And on top of that they beat everyones price in 3 states. It is about 6 hours away though, but if you want to check prices with them the number is 910-755-7900 and I dealt with Wes Hamilton, one of the owners. They are a high volume boat dealer and I would be surprised if anyone can beat their price.
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Sic 'em dawg fan. Man that's a great sounding connection. I was actually about to ride out to Huggins and just see if they have the color I want. But you better believe I'm gonna call your guy Wes. Because honestly if they have what I want and there isnt any waiting and POSSIBLY a better price I have no problems driving 6 hrs.

Question though. If you bought your boat from them, where did you take it for it's scheduled services?