Venture scouts scallop report Steinhatchee 7/14 Photo summar

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Venture scouts scallop report Steinhatchee 7/14 Photo summar

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Five Venture scouts and 4 adults from Venture Crew 288 of Ponte Vedra Beach left early Thursday morning for Steinhatchee (2.75 hours away) to try their hand at scalloping. Seven of the nine Venturers had not scalloped before and a couple had never snorkeled before either. This was gonna be a great opportunity to show them a really unique Florida outdoor activity! Rather than dragging a boat with us we kept it simple and rented a 24 foot Carolina Skiff boat from Sea Hag Marina. Our boat the Black Pearl was an excellent platform to scallop from and we had a great time snorkeling & hunting the abundant scallops!! With the exception of a storm to our south the weather & conditions were awesome.

In a nutshell, Venturing is a youth development program within Boy Scouts that is co-ed and young men & women from 14 – 21 years of age can participate. Just like Boy Scouts, it is youth lead and has leadership components (elected positions) to foster leadership & personal growth, awards for youth to earn and crews seek fun activities & high adventure to help them develop into responsible citizens with a strong moral compass.

This is a photo summary of how our day went……

Venture scouts from Crew 288

Lake Gulf of Mexico………….

We didn’t need to put a diver in the water to find an area with abundant scallops as you could see scallops from the boat and you knew when you were in a good enough area to start your scalloping.

Kaitlyn with the first of many

A lot of firsts…………..

Austin with his first ever scallop

Catalina with her first ever scallops

John with his first ever scallop

Dick Basye with his first. Dick is the founding leader of Venture Crew 288

Austin & Jamie having a good time.

New to snorkeling - Miranda going after a scallop

There were plenty of scallops for our group

I call these big ole mossybacks found in the sand/mud bottom as they are larger than the scallops found in the adjacent seagrasses

Catalina

My daughter Kaitlyn with a good effort

Storm to our south with a lot of lightening caused us to pick up anchor and move north

Icing them down

As these chilled, we motored away from the storm and upon anchoring on the second spot the Venturers hit the water again…………..snorkeling in almost 5 feet of water the scallops were abundant here also

Jamie on the hunt for more scallops

Austin on the hunt

Another mossyback

stone crab

My daughter Kaitlyn

Horse conch

Variegated sea urchin

Catalina with her catch

9 shuckers made quick work of our 10 gallons of scallops.

South African funnyman John working on some scallops

Everyone is pitching in……

Heading back in….a fun time was had by all!

Venture Crew 288 Scallywags

It’s quite an honor to be able to work with this group of young men & women and to introduce them to outdoor activities that they’ve never experienced before. One of our next scheduled Venture outdoor adventures will be introducing them to another old time Florida favorite………frog gigging.

Among many other outdoor activities, Crew 288 has gone to local ranges to shoot rifles, shotguns & pistols, whitewater raft, camp, SCUBA dive, and some of our Venturers have attended a week long National Youth Leadership program. Here’s a link about Venturing if anyone is interested:
http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Venturing.aspx
It’s a great program!

Hoo Yah
Brian
Quality Time
micci_man

Re: Venture scouts scallop report Steinhatchee 7/14 Photo su

Post by micci_man »

Very cool :beer: The first timers will remember that forever.

We were there Friday/Saturday and all the trout wee .5" short but the scallops were still thick even in 7'. Got our 8 gal in 1 hour. I saw a few of those sea hag rentals going in and out.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
bman

Post by bman »

Great photos and good trip for everyone!!!

I'm hoping to get out soon. We have some friends coming in from out of town that want to go.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Great trip and great photos. Thanks for sharing. Scouting is a great program. We have our yearly trip to Shell Point in September. We usually fish, board sail, and take them to the springs at Spring Creek for a swim. We may have to consider scalloping this year. I would love to have 9 people helping clean them. I took my dad scalloping 2 weeks ago for his first trip. He loved it.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Wow epic report as always. Really enjoy all the pics. Looks like y'all had a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Awesome! Venturing is a great program. I just have a hard time finding an adult female to sign up so that we can have a co-ed crew.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!