New Member Introduction

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mirage2521

New Member Introduction

Post by mirage2521 »

Good Morning All,
I've been lurking here a while and I have posted a couple of times. I thought if I was going to hang around introducing myself might be the polite thing to do. I live in Panama City but I am facing the potential imminent domain loss of my home and if it happens the Big Bend is going to be my new home. I grew up fishing with my dad who was an inshore guide in the Keys and in Bay County. I like to think that I learned a little from him but it seems I learn more ever single day I fish or read a forum. The wife and I enjoy fishing offshore, inshore, scalloping and just lazy days on the boats doing next to nothing.

A little bio, I am 52, retired military, social liberal, fiscal conservative, militant constitutionalist...lol. I just boat a new J16 in Perry at Big Bend Marine for flats fishing, scalloping and flounder gigging. "BackStabber" will be going on her maiden gigging voyage this coming Thursday night.

Thanks for letting me join and I hope to learn a lot from all of you and maybe contribute a little myself.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: New Member Introduction

Post by silverking »

What branch of service?

Welcome aboard, enjoy the new boat and post up some of your adventures. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

Welcome! I am a "foreign" member from N GA, but get to ST Marks a good bit and really enjoy this group - unlike some forums, friendly and helpful folks without a lot of BS.

Hate to hear about your imminent domain issue, that sucks. I sure hope the gubament gives you a very real value + inconvenience reimbursement. I have a good friend that just went through the process and was able to bump up the offer by getting 3 independent appraisals. Best of luck.

Lastly, thank you sincerely for your service!
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Welcome.
mirage2521

Post by mirage2521 »

silverking wrote:What branch of service?

Welcome aboard, enjoy the new boat and post up some of your adventures. :thumbup:
Thanks, Ten years in the Navy, tin can, dive school, sub squadron and SWCC, ten years Army as a Marine Deck Officer.

I am looking forward to using this new boat. I had 16 Carolina Skiff that I bought new in 1989 in Carrabelle. I used that boat for 15-18 years. My last "little " boat was a Kennedy Craft made in Destin in 1972, great boat but I hated the idea that it had no floatation, especially crossing bays and sounds at night gigging.
mirage2521

Post by mirage2521 »

Limitless wrote:Welcome! I am a "foreign" member from N GA, but get to ST Marks a good bit and really enjoy this group - unlike some forums, friendly and helpful folks without a lot of BS.

Hate to hear about your imminent domain issue, that sucks. I sure hope the gubament gives you a very real value + inconvenience reimbursement. I have a good friend that just went through the process and was able to bump up the offer by getting 3 independent appraisals. Best of luck.

Lastly, thank you sincerely for your service!
Its a mixed blessing. My house is almost paid for but my neighborhood is going downhill as people die off and their heirs rent the houses out. To be honest, I am about half hoping it happens. I have always wanted to live somewhere between Yankeetown and Carrabelle. This might be my chance.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Welcome sir and thanks for your service.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Interesting career path. VQ-2 radio op and Navy Aircrew Candidate drill instructor myself. Thanks for your service to our nation. Lots of ex-military represented on this forum.

Good luck with the house. Hope it works out to your best advantage.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Welcome to Moe's! Good luck with the house situation.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Welcome aboard! Good to hear your wife likes to fish. Mine does as well and she is my best fishing partner. Thanks for your military service. I was in submarines stationed at Key West back in the late 50's and early 60's. Wouldn't take nothing for my experiences and wouldn't give a dime for anymore. We love to fish even when we don't catch anything. Try to go once a week but are getting more and more behind. We fish mostly out of Keaton and would be glad to tell you all we know---which wouldn't take long.

We'll be looking out for some good reports from you. Let us know if there is any way we can help.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
mirage2521

Post by mirage2521 »

SS-342 wrote:Welcome aboard! Good to hear your wife likes to fish. Mine does as well and she is my best fishing partner. Thanks for your military service. I was in submarines stationed at Key West back in the late 50's and early 60's. Wouldn't take nothing for my experiences and wouldn't give a dime for anymore. We love to fish even when we don't catch anything. Try to go once a week but are getting more and more behind. We fish mostly out of Keaton and would be glad to tell you all we know---which wouldn't take long.

We'll be looking out for some good reports from you. Let us know if there is any way we can help.

Interesting, my Dad was on subs in Key west in the late 50s. I wonder if you guys ever crossed paths.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Small world. My dad was stationed on a destroyer (USS Saufley) and with Shore Patrol in Key West in the late 1950s.

I was born there at the Naval Hospital during his tour, which makes me a rare native Conch. :wink:
TomParis
Site Sponsor

Post by TomParis »

Its a blessing in disguise, hopefully you can get some place that is real close to the water so you and your wife can enjoy the Salt Water life!

This is the best forum around, I use this board and the ClassicSeacraft.com board to learn all I can about fishing and boating!
1976 Seacraft 20' MA
mirage2521

Post by mirage2521 »

TomParis wrote:Its a blessing in disguise, hopefully you can get some place that is real close to the water so you and your wife can enjoy the Salt Water life!

This is the best forum around, I use this board and the ClassicSeacraft.com board to learn all I can about fishing and boating!
We are very close to the water now but what was a small town is not getting an inner city feel to it. Its time to move. The state buying it would be a blessing I think. The idea of moving though....wow, Three trips hailing boats, one hauling a tractor, cars, truck, jeeps, dog. Wow. That's the part that make me hesitate. I am 52 so if I am going to do it, the sooner the better.
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Welcome aboard! I'm a Georgia boy that lives to catch reds. You'll find many friends and good fisherman here. Thanks for your service

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk