Boat Electronics

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

LucWilliams

Boat Electronics

Post by LucWilliams »

Hey everyone,

Need some recommendations for electric work on my boat. Trim tabs are not working and my other electronics are slow to start.. almost like they need to charge up. Hoping to drop it off somewhere one day this week and get it taken care of. Thanks!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Boat Electronics

Post by silverking »

Mike Paulette at Shields Marina can take care of those problems, Luc. Give Dennis the service manager a call to see when they could get it in.

850-925-6158
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

LucWilliams wrote:Hey everyone,

Need some recommendations for electric work on my boat. Trim tabs are not working and my other electronics are slow to start.. almost like they need to charge up. Hoping to drop it off somewhere one day this week and get it taken care of. Thanks!
I think its worth mentioning that there's a huge backlog of boats at most dealers/shops.

Some things you might want to do before you give up your boat for 3 weeks during prime time.

Have your battery checked or if its old just replace it.

Check for a loose ground(visually).

Use your multimeter(or buy a cheap one at harbor freight) and see if you can detect an unusual load while pressing random switches.

Remove the switch to the trim tabs and see if they have power at the switch. if not then trace the wire and check the fuses/connections. If they do then check the power at the actual trim tab.
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

x2 on having the battery checked. We had a bad cell on one of the batteries and by the end of the day systems went into low voltage alarm and started shutting down the FF, GPS, Radar, Sirus.
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

x 2 what procraftwes said. Do all the troubleshooting you can yourself. Took my boat in( Shields) for routine oil change and 4 weeks later they had it ready.
HewesMan

Post by HewesMan »

I thought that Mike at Mikes Marine Way's also did boat wiring/electrical issues. He might be less of a wait. Might at least be worth a call.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Parkway...both marine and automotive
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".