Steinhatchie

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rebel10

Steinhatchie

Post by rebel10 »

Im headed down on Thursday with a group of guys to fish and scallop this weekend. We've had the trip planned prior to all this rain. Any idea where the clean water will be? North, South? Thanks!
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Steinhatchie

Post by DixieReb »

I heard they got over 10'' of rain in that area :o . Good luck finding clearer water, maybe it cooled it down some. You might have to go a long way out or try to the north toward Keaton.
Yours in the South
waterman

Post by waterman »

We was there Sunday . We went all the way to Hagan's Cove water was still stained. We managed maybe a gallon. Hope this helps
rebel10

Post by rebel10 »

Thanks yall. Im just glad to be getting on the water. Ill report back on Monday.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Your best bet for finding any clear water will be closer to Keaton. The Steinhatchee is just now starting to drop below flood stage. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/fl/nwis/uv?site_no=02324000 Normal gauge height is around 3 feet. Good luck.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Ecowildlifer

Post by Ecowildlifer »

I would recommend St. Marks. I went this past Saturday and could still see bottom (5-8ft). I got between 3-4 gallons and wasn't even working hard.
rob4auburn

Post by rob4auburn »

Ecowildlifer wrote:I would recommend St. Marks. I went this past Saturday and could still see bottom (5-8ft). I got between 3-4 gallons and wasn't even working hard.
I might take off Friday and go scalloping at SM. An hints as to where they are? Many thanks!
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

Anywhere from Rock Garden to Grey Mare rock in 4 to 6 foot. Low tide is in the morning so best bet is to head out towards bird rack and then run east along stake line. We have had to move a number of times to find them. Brown algae mats are the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

At St Marks if you have somebody that wants to stay in the boat then you can drift until you find them. You can cover a lot more ground and get more scallops this way. They dont seem to be concentrated but its an easy limit if you swim a little bit.
Ecowildlifer

Post by Ecowildlifer »

Anywhere south of grey mare......look for the FLEET!
rob4auburn

Post by rob4auburn »

Thanks for the St. Marks scalloping tips everyone!
rebel10

Post by rebel10 »

We fished Friday morning in about 8-10' with gulps. Pretty slow if not for the sand trout. Caught 3 keeper spec trout, 1 Spanish, 1 short cobia, and a pile of sand trout. Headed north to scallop and got about 2 gallons. Water was stained but clear enough. We pulled up to 3 different wods of boat but the scallops were hard to come by. Maybe 2 gallons on Saturday as well. All in all we had a great time.