Yellow Jackets

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Mister Mullet

Yellow Jackets

Post by Mister Mullet »

Help!!! I'm being held hostage by a nest of yellow jackets. Anybody on here have a pest control company or know of a good one. Need help ASAP
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Re: Yellow Jackets

Post by RedMann »

Bubba says -- Go out at night with a light and find the nest hole. Spray wasp spray down the hole or pour in some PVC glue, gasoline, etc. Should do the trick unless it's a really big nest.

Or you could call a professional which is probably the smart thing to do but I don't know anyone to recommend. Good luck.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Not sure who to rec either, but I got rid of 2 a few months back. What I "researched" came up w similar to above. Most important, do at night. If you know where the hole is, pour a gallon or so gasoline or a lot of wasp spray and cover the hole with something heavy, like a paver. May have to repeat. Don't attempt you aren't comfortable. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

GO OUT BEFORE DAY LIGHT OR AFTER DARK AND WATCH OUT FOR THE YELLOW JACKET GUARDS, THEN SPRAY A WHOLE CAN OF SPECTRACIDE YELLOWJACKET FOAMING AERSOL INTO THE HOLE, BE SURE TO USE THE FOAMING
SPRAY , IT WILL KEEP THEM FROM COMING OUT OF THE HOLE . BE READY TO RUN . OR SEND YOUR WIFE OUT IF SHE IS QUICK ON HER FEET .
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

I have had good luck just pouring the gas on them at night (no fire). A grader told me this and it has always worked for me.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
2Old

Post by 2Old »

I usually wait until dusk dark. Then fill a bottle such as a Coke bottle with gas. Turn the bottle upside down into the hole and leave it over night. The nest morning I can retrieve the bottle and the nest is dead.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

RED ZONE 48 wrote:GO OUT BEFORE DAY LIGHT OR AFTER DARK AND WATCH OUT FOR THE YELLOW JACKET GUARDS, THEN SPRAY A WHOLE CAN OF SPECTRACIDE YELLOWJACKET FOAMING AERSOL INTO THE HOLE, BE SURE TO USE THE FOAMING
SPRAY , IT WILL KEEP THEM FROM COMING OUT OF THE HOLE . BE READY TO RUN . OR SEND YOUR WIFE OUT IF SHE IS QUICK ON HER FEET .
:lol:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
lmmoore

Post by lmmoore »

Use deisel or mix of gas and deisel.The deisel had residual effect.Early morning is better pour st least a gallon into the hole and run.
lmmoore

Post by lmmoore »

Use deisel or mix of gas and deisel.The deisel had residual effect.Early morning is better pour st least a gallon into the hole and run.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Gas in the hole usually does it. My brother ran over a nest of them when he was mowing the back yard once, the crazy things were so mad that some of them followed him into the house! He got stung-up pretty good, those things sure can hurt. :evil:
Yours in the South
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Those things will get the scent of one person who has disturbed their nest and chase them right past other people in the same area. When we are chopping line out surveying, it is always the guy in the front who gets hit. If he drops equipment when he turns and runs, we have to send a different person back to get the equipment once the nest calms back down. The new person can get within a couple feet of the nest, but the original guy will get attacked a second time when he is about 10 feet away.

If you have already disturbed the nest one time, call me and I will come get rid of them for you. As mentioned above, it has to be done in the early morning or late evening when all of them are back at the nest. Otherwise the ones you miss will re-establish the nest. Cold weather helps too, but we are a long way off from having any of that.

Be careful. Early in my surveying career I had one guy get stung 31 times. I had him lay in the truck bed and covered him with ice bags from a convenient store while I drove him to the emergency room. He made it, but he was a big ole boy over 300 lb. (Nicknamed "Tiny" of course). :thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WE HAVE HAS SUCH A BAD PROBLEM WITH YELLOW JACKETS, MAINLY DOWN IN THE WOODS THAT I KEEP MOWED. I BOUGHT A CASE OF (RID-A-BUG WASP AND HORNET KILLER). GENERALLY WHEN YOU DISTURBE THE JACKET NEST THEY WILL FOLLOW YOU IF YOU CANT RUN VERY FAST, AND REALLY PUT A HURTIN ON YA. I WAIT TILL ALMOST SUNDOWN AND FIND THE NEST WITH THE JACKETS STILL GOING AND COMING FROM THE HOLE, BE CAREFUL, THEY ALWAYS HAVE ANOTHER HOLE CLOSE BY THAT THEY CAN ESCAPE THROUGH, AFTER SPRAYING THE FIRST HOLE , STAND BACK 15-20 FT. UNTIL YOU SEE THEM COMING OUT OF THE ESCAPE HOLE, THEN SPRAY THAT HOLE AND GENERALLY THAT WILL WIPE THEM OUT. THIS PAST SPRING I WAS MOWING MY FRONT YARD AND RAN OVER A JACKET NEST NOT 10 FT. FROM OUR FRONT WALK, THEY CAME AFTER ME AND HIT ME 42 TIMES ON THE BACK OF MY HEAD, BOTH EARS, NECK, BOTH ARMS, AND SEVERAL PLACES AROUND MY WAIST. WE ALWAYS HAVE DRAMAMINE TABLETS TO TAKE IN CASE SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENS. MY OLDEST SON AND MY YOUNGEST DAUGHTER HAVE A DRASTIC REACTION IF ANY TYPE BEE, YELLOW JACKET, OR WASP STING . THEY HAVE TO TAKE A PILL AND THEN RUSH TO THE E.R. AT THE HOSPITAL. I ON THE OTHER HAND DO NOT SEEM TO BE AFFECTED NEARLY AS BAD AS OUR CHILDREN DO. THEY ARE GROWN 55 AND 58 YR. OLD. I KNOW OF ONE CASE WHEN A YOUNG BOY WAS STUNG BY YELLOW JACKETS AND DIED FROM THE ATTACK.
I KNOW MANY MEN THAT WORK CUTTING AND HAULING TIMBER ON THE PLANTATIONS AROUND THIS AREA, THEY USE MOSTLY DIESEL FUEL POURED DOWN THE HOLES WHEN THEY FIND THEM. MOST OF THEM HAVE BEEN STUNG SO MANY TIMES THEY ARE IMMUNE TO THE STINGS NOW. MY LAST ENCOUNTER , EVEN BEING RESISTANT TO THE YELLOW JACKET STING, I GOT A FEVER AND TOOK ABOUT 3 DAYS TO GET OVER THE ENCOUNTER. I STILL HAVE A SPOT ON THE BACK OF MY NECK WHERE I HAD 12 STINGS, STILL BURNS A LITTLE EVERY NOW AND THEN. I WILL BE MORE CAREFUL THE NEXT TIME I MOW I WILL WEAR MY BEE HAT WITH THE MESH THAT COVERS MY HEAD AND NECK. WE ALSO HAVE A HIVE OF BATTS DOWN NEXT TO THE CREEK , SOMEONE TOLD ME YESTERDAY THAT A HIVE OF BATTS OVER NEAR TALLAHASSEE HAD BEEN TESTED AND HAVE RABIES, I SURE HOPE OUR BATTS DO NOT GET THE RABIES, THEY KEEP OUR HOME AND PROPERTY ALMOST FREE OF MOSQUITOES. HOPE THIS POST WILL BE OF SOME HELP FOR YOU IN THE FUTURE.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

NOTE TO SELF:

don 't use gas and fire if nest is in bldg.! :o
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY SIR REEL, MAN IT IS GOOD TO SEE YOU ARE STILL KICKING AROUND. ARE YA ABLE TO GET OUT AND DO ANY FISHING? IF YOU CAN GET OUT ON A BOAT MAYBE I COULD TAKE YA FOR A TRIP, LET ME KNOW. MY OLD (TIN CAN) IS IN THE SHOP GETTING A NEW WATER PUMP , IMPELLAR AND HOUSING, INSTALLED, IT SHOULD BE READY THIS WEEK SOMETIME. MY FRIEND AND OUTBOARD MOTOR REPAIR MAN, JAKE HAD A YARD FULL OF BOATS THAT HAD TO BE WORKED ON , JAKE SAID HE WOULD BY-PASS THEM FOR SOME CUSTOMERS THAT PAY CASH AND DON'T COMPLAIN.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to add much except a pretty face. I'm not able to even handle a cane pole. Tying knots, working with terminal tackle, baiting hooks would be a futile exercise. That being said, your offer really brightens my day. Thank you so much.

Bud
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".