Craigslist rant

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

micci_man

Re: Craigslist rant

Post by micci_man »

Should of never sold your boat :smt011

I know where a river hawk is that has a split transom that you could get for cheap and fix.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

I found a boat on craigslist a while back. Texted the guy and told him I was coming by on Saturday to take a look at it. Original posted price was 4200. My buddy and I go up early on Saturday and drove the 2 and one half hours to look at it. By the time we got there the owner raised the price to 4600. I asked him why and he said, "higher demand caused the price to go up." I gritted my teeth a little and said, "ok, can we fire it up to see how it runs?"

His response, "well it was idling a little rough so I had my mechanic pull the carbs and he should have them back on by monday."

I told him I was coming to look at it 2 days prior! :smt011

So, after a 5 hour round trip and a wasted saturday, I wasn't very happy.
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

I've had great buying/selling experiences on Craigslist, and I've had terrible ones. Found a good deal on a boat several years ago and after several discussions with the seller, arranging to have a mechanic look the boat over, and both my dad and I taking a day off of work to drive down, we were notified at almost midnight the night before that someone else had already made an offer, and when he informed that potential buyer that we were coming down to potentially buy the boat the next day, said buyer promptly bought the boat. This, of course, had all taken place many hours before we were notified via text, despite numerous efforts on our part to contact the seller and confirm the "deal" was still on.

Aside from dealings like that, one of my biggest pet peeves is the automatic 'what's the lowest price you'll take'-esque messages. I realize it's craigslist, but at least make an offer and establish a threshold for negotiation.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

My recent Craigslist sales have all gone very well.

The Crown Prince of Nigeria offered a premium for my items and I shipped them to him in Alabama. Still awaiting payment. :lol:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

CL is also notorious for replies that phish for your email. Most ask if the item listed is still available. When you respond, your email address is confirmed and it is then sold to spammers.

Lot safer using this site or similar ones like The Hull Truth or other sporting forums.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
bbb

Post by bbb »

What is it with people who can't meet before a certain time and then sell the boat to someone who gets their earlier with more money. I tried to meet last night but he said to just come in the morning.
bman

Post by bman »

It was too good of a deal to pass up...

Its a sweet rig!

:smt064 :smt110 :smt081
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

silverking wrote:CL is also notorious for replies that phish for your email. Most ask if the item listed is still available. When you respond, your email address is confirmed and it is then sold to spammers.

Lot safer using this site or similar ones like The Hull Truth or other sporting forums.

The reason I ALWAYS leave a phone # and say I will NOT respond to e-mails!
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
bbb

Craigslist rant

Post by bbb »

I guess the way to deal with these Yahoo!s is to tell them I will take it and to consider it sold. And then when I get to their house I can negotiate the price or change my mind about buying the boat.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I have one of those "love hate" relationships with Craigslist but I still check several categories at least twice a day especially the sporting, and boat parts. Keep looking and don't get discouraged. I'm guessing half the ads on Craigslist are either scams, or someone selling their junk but the other half can be great deals. I've bought or sold many things on there and have gotten some sweet deals. Even when the ad sounds too good to be true, it often pays to check it out. You just have to sort through the ads and weed out the garbage. I found my 08 Triton bass boat with an NADA value of over $15K listed for $8K that I knew had to be a scam but turned out to be legit and worth every penny. They may be few and far between, but there are some good deals on Craigslist.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

BBB did you get my PM? Call Joe; I think you'll like the boat.

SG-new sled is a 22 Bahia. Bought it with 65 hours on it. Really happy so far. Probably be spending more time in your direction going forward.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
bbb

Post by bbb »

I just called him and sent a text.

I think I've graduated to wanting a 16-18ft boat, but I might be able to use the motor and friend of mine is looking for a boat only.
bbb

Craigslist rant

Post by bbb »

bman wrote:It was too good of a deal to pass up...

Its a sweet rig!

:smt064 :smt110 :smt081
Somebody obviously has hacked my phone and is jumping on these deals before I can.

Maybe I'll have my rig together before the Spring.

[LOUDLY CRYING FACE]
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

SHOWBOAT wrote:BBB did you get my PM? Call Joe; I think you'll like the boat.

SG-new sled is a 22 Bahia. Bought it with 65 hours on it. Really happy so far. Probably be spending more time in your direction going forward.

Sweet boat, congrats. I'll keep an eye out for ya :beer:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Sounds like some of these guys don't know how to price stuff. It's always easy to come down but going up is a different story. I sell a lot of stuff on CL and I have people call and make a ridiculous offer and I usually tell them that they are offering me money site unseen. What if this item is a piece of junk, are you still buying. Usually people that make offers without even looking are never going to buy, just cyber shoppers.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!