joining 100lb BRAID to 50yards of 250lb Shock Leader

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DOC23

joining 100lb BRAID to 50yards of 250lb Shock Leader

Post by DOC23 »

I am new to surf fishing...having problems joining my base 100lb braid to my shock leader of 250lb Andes monofilament......any suggestions????
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: joining 100lb BRAID to 50yards of 250lb Shock Leader

Post by fishinfool »

Double uni knot. You can try a no name/ bristol knot also
Capt Ron

Post by Capt Ron »

I used the double trilene knot for 20 years when I added 60-100 mono to my line, for a bite tippet. Year before last I went to the "FG knot" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oohOoOOmbNk It makes for a much smaller knot and a smoother transition.
fredhey

Post by fredhey »

Grog's Fishing Knots is a great site to use. All kinds of knots and how to tie them..
DOC23

Post by DOC23 »

The one big problem is the 250lb mono is so thick compared to the 100lb braid....the mono won't cinch down properly.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

these posts address your needs almost exactly... take a read:

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f3 ... ks-337345/

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/t ... not.24865/

good luck and let us know how it works out
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I use an Albright when tying to heavy mono (like 100 heavy). It does not slip through eyes well though.

Would an FG knot be an option? I would probably add superglue to it as well. Never used it on anything heavy like this, I just started tying it.

http://360tuna.com/threads/fg-knot-question.30617/

Oops. Saw someone mentioned it.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
fredhey

Post by fredhey »

The Albright Knot or the Nail Knot look like they would work well.

Go to www.animatedknots.com to see how to tie them.

Good luck.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I have had Albright/braid connections slip because of the wax and slickness of Spectra fiber (braid). If you do go that route, I would recommend doubling the wraps with both knots.

The Bristol is a good connection but I've been using the double uni for years with no problems, even with heavier tarpon and shark tackle.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
youngbearman

Post by youngbearman »

With heavy leader and half the diameter braid you want to use a knot called the "Albright Special". Look it up, easy knot to tie. Make sure you go back out of the loop the same way you went in. You should only need 6-7 wraps. When you test this knot with anything 60lb or higher you will find that the line will break or the hook will straighten (more likely) before the knot breaks.

From the tests that I have run, the other knots mentioned are better for lighter lines. The Albright Special starts to lose when you get close to 20 lb test and for anything less, I wouldn't use it at all.
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

I join 40 lb braid to 150 lb mono with an FG knot with maybe 80 wraps around the mono.
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Pr bobbin

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Bob sands, slim beauty, Bimini to double cats paw, Bimini to Bristol, Bimini to uni/uni. Try them all til you find one you like and can tie consistently.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
DOC23

Post by DOC23 »

Thanks GUYS!!!! so far Ive tried the FG, Alberto, & Albright. The Alberto..pulled loose at the knot. The FG knot looks great..but Im just not a full believer in it yet...and finally the regular ALBRIGHT HAS BEEN TIED OVER AND OVER BY ME IN THE LAST 2 DAYS AND ONLY TO HAVE MY BRAID BREAK!!!!!! NOT THE KNOT AND NO SLIPPAGE!!!! YEEEEHAWWW. What would a little super glue do to it? Help it or make the knot fail?????? THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ANY TID BIT OF INFO or COMMENTS!!!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

What exactly are you fishing for and where?

100-pound braid and 250-pound leader is enough to whip a giant bluefin tuna. We had a boat land a 650-pound blue marlin on 30-pound test line at the Sandestin tournament this summer. Unless you're hooking Southern Pacific freight trains, you're probably using way too heavy of tackle.

There are other factors, such as are you getting hung up on rocks or rip-rap first? How old is your braid and leader? How tight is your drag? Are you doubling the braid before tying to the leader? How long of leader are you using? If you're hooking sharks with too short of leader, they could be biting through the braid.

Your drag should be set about 1/3 the breaking strength of the main line. Braid will typically over-test, so 100-pound might actually be 105 or so.

Are you moistening your knots when you tighten them down? Heat from friction will cause line to fail prematurely.

Too many variables here to pin this down for sure. I would start with brand new lighter line, tie a knot you're familiar with and go from there.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat