Stony bayou hazard

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Stony bayou hazard

Post by Salty Gator »

We fished stony yesterday and on the way out saw a large gill net partially floating and partially sinking, in the mouth of stony. N E of slough island. We reported it to fwc as it was too big and hung up for us to move. There were a pile of rotting dead fish in it. Buddy noted how many fish those things can kill even when they aren't set up right, just floating along in wads. Mostly gar and catfish, but there were a few reds and trout also. We gave a gps coordinate to fwc, if anyone is going and would like the # in order to be sure to miss it, pm me.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Stony bayou hazard

Post by silverking »

Damn poachers! They won't stop until they're dead or behind bars and hopefully it's the former soon.

Thanks for the heads up and for reporting it, SG. Know they've got a lot on their plate right now from the storm, but maybe FWC can recover it soon to stop the ghost killing.

To all, if you see illegal activity while on the water or come across nets like this please report it. That will prompt more patrols/surveillance to protect our publicly-owned resources.

Call the 24-hour Wildlife Alert hotline at 888-404-3922.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Thanks for the heads up SG. I was thinking about our suspicion of hidden gillnets in Stoney B. yesterday and wondered out loud if the high water would float them out into the open.

I thought about fishing there yesterday AM but decided on Bass fishing instead. Send me a PM with a fishing report if you get a chance.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

rockyg wrote:Thanks for the heads up SG. I was thinking about our suspicion of hidden gillnets in Stoney B. yesterday and wondered out loud if the high water would float them out into the open.

I thought about fishing there yesterday AM but decided on Bass fishing instead. Send me a PM with a fishing report if you get a chance.
It looked pretty new Rocky. I'm afraid your right about hidden nets. Pm sent
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Damn bastards. I hope they sink their damn boat and get tangled up in their own nets!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

They're definitely out there - very prominent in that area...

you can typically tell the runners as well - usually a beaten boat with a couple of guys in it, and large cooler(s) as well. No fishing gear, no net on board, but look shady as hell.

Too bad they weren't out there to get caught in the net themselves.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

galantnole wrote:They're definitely out there - very prominent in that area...

you can typically tell the runners as well - usually a beaten boat with a couple of guys in it, and large cooler(s) as well. No fishing gear, no net on board, but look shady as hell.

Too bad they weren't out there to get caught in the net themselves.
We typically fish there 2-4 weekend mornings a month and have never seen a boat like that back there. I've seen a few that would fit that description in alligator harbor, but never there. They must come during the weekdays or afternoon/ night. Obviously the netters are there, I've just never seen one. Sad to see so many dead fish in a wadded up gill net
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Be careful, Last time I mentioned the net poaching problem one of the forum members jumped on my case. I guess he didn't agree we have a problem or has friends in the netting business. I know they are in the SGI area and yes, I do report anything out of line and let the law sort it out.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Heard that FWC went out and picked up the illegal gill net the same afternoon it was reported. Hopefully that will put a hurt on the poacher that used it. :thumbup:

Pirate don't let some internet forum Neanderthal bother you. Speak you mind. I believe that many more on here would agree with you than you might think.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Don't worry rocish on!kyg, I do. I was just a little surprised that a fisherman would ever take that stand. Fish on!
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
Ted in Tallahassee

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

"Stony bayou hazard," aren't those synonymous? My prop says "yes!," LOL!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Sorry Ted, but this isn't the post for cavalier.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

This is from fwc

While conducting airboat patrol in the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge, Officers Hofheinz and Fletcher discovered an extremely large monofilament gill net partially submerged in a tidal creek. It is believed that the storm surge from Hurricane Hermine dislodged the net from a concealed position nearby. Because of the gill net’s size, both officers pulled the net immediately due to the potential environmental threat it posed. Upon closer inspection, the net was discovered to be more than 600 feet long and 7,000 square feet unstretched.

Glad it's gone. The net looked pretty new, hope it cost them a pile of money. Funny fwc "found it on airboat patrol ", didn't mention the Good Samaritan that called and reported it, and gave them gps coordinates to its exact location. :wink:
bbb

Post by bbb »

Probably not to give the commercial fisherman more reason to hate or possibly retaliate against the Rec guys. Remember some of these are the kind of folks that would slash your tires or key your trucks at the ramp.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

bbb wrote:Probably not to give the commercial fisherman more reason to hate or possibly retaliate against the Rec guys. Remember some of these are the kind of folks that would slash your tires or key your trucks at the ramp.
Good theory, but I doubt that is why. We have a friend that is an fwc officer. Apparently he gave them a hard time at the office about taking the credit