soil tests...

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

soil tests...

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Received my results back from UF.

Looks like I need some Phosphorus and Potash to make the clover grow. The thing I need the most of though is lime; literally, I need 1 ton! Where can one acquire that amount of lime? Guestimates on cost?
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
CastTheFlats

Re: soil tests...

Post by CastTheFlats »

Check with Waukeenah Fertilizer and Farm Supply
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

We go to Altha.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
SC High Tide

Post by SC High Tide »

Barber in bainbridge will spread it for you, Altha may. Not sure. Last time I think I paid less than 100 a ton spread.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

its a shame that you are not closer to Newberry ,we sell

Crytal River dolomite for 27.00 and rent spreaders for 50.oo you guys ever need help with your samples let me know I am a certified crop consultant
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Waukeenah definitely can hook you up, though their prices are a bit more than those JIm Smith shared... $40 per ton, $75 for spreader rental.

Just got done using one of their spreaders to do put down 3 tons over 3 acres of plots this past weekend.
Spreader.jpg
Above shared, Showboat, even before liming I haven't had any problem with clover not doing well on my place, especially crimson and that's from stands established more than 3 years ago (when we bought the place). Though most things you'll read will recommend having a pH from 6 to 7, my soil averaged out around 5.6 on the samples I took and I've got lots of crimson across my place, some arrowleaf, and even a spot or two of white dutch... all reseeding fairly well on their own to date. Be curious to know the pH you're starting with if clover is proving an issue. Regardless, the lime sure won't hurt... one of the cheapest things you can do to improve your soil and it will definitely help fertilizer uptake as well.
Crimson.jpg
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Thanks Gents!

Glad to hear this is cheaper than anticipated. I didn't realize you could buy a ton of anything for less than $100.

BBG-what were logistics like? Can you simply tow the spreader with the lime? Is a flat-bed required? Is delivery an option? Looks like you have pretty heavy equipment, including a front end loader. How much lime does the spreader hold? I've got a 4x4 F-150 and an old 3600, 2 wheel drive, Ford tractor. I could probably borrow a front end loader if necessary, but I prefer not to unless necessary for filling the spreader.

Since you're curious, the results from my two plots. The plots are a few hundred yards apart.

In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Showboat, my test results look very similar to yours... low potassium and low pH so hopefully you won't have too much trouble with the clover.

As for the spreader, guessing the one in the picture is somewhere between a 3 and 5 ton spreader. I only live about 3 or 4 miles from Waukeenah fertilizer so I was able to tow the spreader with my Nissan Titan / did have to remove the ball as the hook up uses a drop pin instead. I don't know if I would have wanted to drive it much more than another mile or so, though, as it definitely was a heavy haul. Felt every bump in the road and it did a little shimmy/shaking if I exceeded about 25mph / sign on the spreader said not to exceed 25mph. Thankfully pretty flat haul to my place so made it without too much problem but if you've got a longer haul might want to see if can find any lime closer. Know you can buy bags of pelletized lime and if doing math right can get a ton for about $200, but you're not only paying more for the lime as you're also setting yourself up for having to broadcast it.

They filled / weighed the spreader onsite so all I had to do was tow it. One I used did 4 require hydraulic trator hookups - 2 used to engage / disengage wheel that moves conveyor belt at bottom of tank, and 2 used to engage / disengage actual throwing wheels that sling the lime. Guessing some units use PTO, but after they confirmed I had adequate hydraulic hookups they set me up with the one I rented. Definitely would call to confirm they've got one available before making drive as the spreaders they've got understandably have been in peak demand with local plantation use.

BIG BLESSING in renting it was that soon as I spread the lime I was able to load almost 1000 pounds of fertilizer into the spreader, drop a door that controls amount moved to throwing wheels, and spread my fertilizer without having to hand-broadcast as I had done the last two years.

One last note -- they CAN bring lime to you AND handle spreading it for you but the cost will be higher unless you get into bigger quantities. Think the trucks they use to haul / spread hold somewhere between 20 and 25 tons. I can't even give you an estimate on what they might charge to do a small batch by truck as when I told them I was looking at only doing 3 acres this go round, they quickly steered me to renting the spreader and doing it myself.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

generally bulk lime is delivered bulk 25 tons at a time. they probably have an all- ground drive spreader where you don't have to have hyd. Pelletized dolomite runs about 8.00 a 50# bag so a ton would be somewhere around 300.00 a ton. we pull theme all the time , I have seen DOT give tickets for exceeding 25 mph and with a load that's almost too fast with a normal pickup.