Directions to power plant to fish

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

Hello
I live on Apalachee Parkway and I am trying to get directions to the Power Plant where I hear I can fish for Stripers, Reds, etc.
Would someone help me with this?
I don't have a boat, can I fish from shore?
Really would like to fish for Stripers.
Thanks for any help
bbb

Post by bbb »

Hmmm. The one in St Marks? I think access by boat is blocked. Though you can still fish the river where the discharge is near.

The boat in the river is just above the "canal" leading to the discharge.

Usually lots of 12" trout and 8" mangroves. I caught a few good reds up in there around 1998 but never any stripers.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: Directions to power plant to fish

Post by onefishtwofish »

You are confusing us. I don't know of any power plant where you can catch both reds and stripers. Stripers would be below the dam on Highway 20. Or the one in Chattahoochee.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

There are stripers in the St. Marks River and every few years someone lands one or two. The last one I heard about exceeded 30 pounds.

I've half-heartedly tried for them in the past but never had any luck. They like cooler water, so in the winter months when the reds move upriver, there is a slight chance you could catch both. No public access from the shore at the St. Marks power plant, though. There is a dock at the Newport ramp and the stripers are more likely to be way upriver. A swim bait or 3/4-ounce Johnson silver spoon is what I used.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

COULD YOU BE THINKING OF LAKE TALQUIN DAM , OCLOCKNEE RIVER SOUTH OF DAM, ONLY PLACE I CAN THINK OF TO CATCH STRIPERS .
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:There are stripers in the St. Marks River and every few years someone lands one or two. The last one I heard about exceeded 30 pounds.

I've half-heartedly tried for them in the past but never had any luck. They like cooler water, so in the winter months when the reds move upriver, there is a slight chance you could catch both. No public access from the shore at the St. Marks power plant, though. There is a dock at the Newport ramp and the stripers are more likely to be way upriver. A swim bait or 3/4-ounce Johnson silver spoon is what I used.
This
I've heard of folks using black gags whip it eels for them ( I know how much you like em SK, surprised you didn't whip one out.m). I've also heard of folks using a piece of black trash bag. But I think most caught in the st marks are on cut mullet t
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

There are definitely stripers in the St. Marks river. I've seen year after year Capt. Keyser pull big ones out of there.
bman

Post by bman »

I saw a guy catch one under the bridge at Newport 15 years ago on cut mullet.
Only big one I have personally ever seen.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Salty Gator wrote:[quote="silverking I've heard of folks using black gags whip it eels for them ( I know how much you like em SK, surprised you didn't whip one out.m). I've also heard of folks using a piece of black trash bag. But I think most caught in the st marks are on cut mullet t
Last time I tried was before I started using Whip-it eels, SG, but that makes sense. Sand eels are a favorite food and Al's eels are famous for fooling big New England stripers so not a stretch they'd also work here. Hummm, sounds like some research might be in order this winter. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat