Rod for penn battle 2 8000

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbynum229

Rod for penn battle 2 8000

Post by bbynum229 »

Hey guys. I recently got a penn battle 2 8000 for christmas that will primarily be used for surf fishing on my 10ft rod. But I was thinking of using it offshore when my father in law takes me. What rod could hold up against aj's grouper and snapper. I'm not use to offshore fishing and just wanted some tips. Thank you in advanced
FishWithChris

Re: Rod for penn battle 2 8000

Post by FishWithChris »

What's your budget? <$100? <$200?

a 10' rod is great for surf fishing, but you'll be hating life with it offshore (pending on what you're doing).

I've had an absolutely blast with my Ugly Stik Tiger Lite XXH... $65 and puts an absolute hurtin' on the fishes. Ugly as hell though :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, what are you going to spool it with? 40lb? 60lb?
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
bbynum229

Post by bbynum229 »

I have 80lb spider wire braid on right now. And as for a budget I'm not really sure right now. I have some time to save up
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Any medium heavy or bigger jigging rod would be great w that reel. A lot of companies make em, ugly stick and shimano trevella are good bang for the buck. I have a 6'6" medium heavy ( med fast action) trevella paired with a 8000 reel that I've caught 30+ " grouper and snapper and 40+" aj's and cobia with . They run about $110-$160 depending on size, and also have a (not over the counter) warranty. A buddy( maybe he will chime in) has one paired with a 6000 battle and he's pulled some stud grouper over the gunwale this year. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

if you're interested in a custom rod, i can build you a vertical jigging rod to match that reel you have. any way you can dream it up and i'll slap a lifetime warranty on it for the piece of mind :thumbup:
bbynum229

Post by bbynum229 »

Thank you all for the input and I'll go check out your fb page
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

dombern34 wrote:if you're interested in a custom rod, i can build you a vertical jigging rod to match that reel you have. any way you can dream it up and i'll slap a lifetime warranty on it for the piece of mind :thumbup:

Dom, I didn't know you made offshore rods. Bb, you definitely can't go wrong w a southern custom
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

SG- yes sir! can make anything from a fly rod, to a bream pole! ANYTHING can be done!
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

8 ft Shimano Teramar in XX Heavy.

Or 8 ft G. Loomis e6x inshore. Has up to a 6 oz lure weight.
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Salty Gator wrote:Any medium heavy or bigger jigging rod would be great w that reel. A lot of companies make em, ugly stick and shimano trevella are good bang for the buck. I have a 6'6" medium heavy ( med fast action) trevella paired with a 8000 reel that I've caught 30+ " grouper and snapper and 40+" aj's and cobia with . They run about $110-$160 depending on size, and also have a (not over the counter) warranty. A buddy( maybe he will chime in) has one paired with a 6000 battle and he's pulled some stud grouper over the gunwale this year. Good luck
The trevellas are a great bang for your buck. I have a Penn Battle 2 6000 with a medium shimano trevella w 65 braid and have been able to land just about anything that swims in our offshore waters (minus goliaths and huge sharks of course). Good luck with it.
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
bbynum229

Post by bbynum229 »

I ended up having a cooker give me two offshore rods. Thanks guys