Where's FWC?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Re: Where's FWC?

Post by Sea Fox »

I haven't seen them in the Carrabelle river much. But I haven't been down in a few weeks. You used to be able to get your boat certified and receive sticker to display on the boat and eliminate repeat check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sea Ya !
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

Last FWC officer I saw was Wednesday at Tucker Lake, chilling at the 2nd roundabout. I was the only one in there and didn't get stopped or anything. He seemed pretty busy there...
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

BAY COUNTY
Officers Wicker and N. Basford were on water patrol in East Bay when they heard shooting coming from the Cooks Bayou area. They saw several vessels in the area chasing ducks and shooting while underway. The officers stopped one of the vessels which had two hunters on board. The hunters had three redhead ducks in their possession. Both were issued citations for hunting waterfowl from a moving vessel.

COLUMBIA COUNTY
Lieutenants Kiss, Huff, Officers McDonald and Yates conducted a detail at Alligator Lake Small Game Wildlife Management Area (WMA) targeting duck hunting. During the detail, two citations were issued for taking migratory game from a moving vessel. One citation for a license violation and four warnings were also issued. Approximately 45 hunters were checked during the detail.

FWC Division of Law Enforcement
Weekly Report January 13, 2017 through January 19, 2017
http://myfwc.com/about/inside-fwc/le/weekly-reports/
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

They are stretched pretty thin now of days but just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't see you. They have few undercover officers in our area that drive unmarked trucks and boats. They caught a GA boat this week off Dog Island with 16 red snapper and 6 gags on board.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

tailwaters wrote:They are stretched pretty thin now of days but just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't see you. They have few undercover officers in our area that drive unmarked trucks and boats. They caught a GA boat this week off Dog Island with 16 red snapper and 6 gags on board.
Incredible... Those Red Snapper are so hard to come by now-a-days that they better have thrown the book at them! I tell you what - those georgia folks need to stay off our waters; or at least if they do come on, should have a test and pay a substantial out-of-state licensing fee!

But really, non-excusable.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

galantnole wrote:
tailwaters wrote:They are stretched pretty thin now of days but just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't see you. They have few undercover officers in our area that drive unmarked trucks and boats. They caught a GA boat this week off Dog Island with 16 red snapper and 6 gags on board.
Incredible... Those Red Snapper are so hard to come by now-a-days that they better have thrown the book at them! I tell you what - those georgia folks need to stay off our waters; or at least if they do come on, should have a test and pay a substantial out-of-state licensing fee!

But really, non-excusable.
Violations aren't unique to non-residents of Florida. If one reads FWC's weekly Law Enforcement reports one will find (way too) numerous instances of violations, including commercial fishing as well as charter captains, from Florida.

That said, FWC allows way too many non-residents, at too low a license fee, to fish Florida waters. FWC hasn't yet seen a dollar bill for a fishing license that it won't gladly accept. FWC is far too concerned with tourism and "special interests", i.e., charter captains, than it is with scientific and sound fisheries' management.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I'm sorry yall feel that way. I guess all the woes with Fla. waters is Ga. people's fault.Never mind that they have all those illegal netboats operating there, ran by Fla. "fishermen". Do something about those and I bet you will see your fish stocks come back.
Yours in the South
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

DixieReb wrote:I'm sorry yall feel that way. I guess all the woes with Fla. waters is Ga. people's fault.Never mind that they have all those illegal netboats operating there, ran by Fla. "fishermen". Do something about those and I bet you will see your fish stocks come back.
Maybe if the state of Georgia wasn't restricting the water flow through the Apalachicola River system (to provide water to metro Atlanta) the oystering industry in Apalachicola Bay wouldn't be so devastated. Inshore saltwater species of fish are highly dependent on healthy and vibrant oyster bedding.

For the sake of metro Atlanta many families and livelihoods, as well as the quality of recreational inshore saltwater fishing in the Apalachicola Bay area have been damaged.
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

Regulations say no shooting ducks from a boat moving under motor or sail; motor has to be up.

What about poling or paddling? Does this mean I can bring the Judge and take ducks off my kayak?
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

The water issue in Atlanta has been an on-going debacle for many years, and doesn't seem to be getting much better. For the record, most of us that fish there live only 60 miles from the state line. So we have nothing to do with Atlanta's water wars with Fla. and AL. I have wished for years that Ga. could divide at Macon and make 2 states, Atlanta is a big, sprawling city that I have no use for.
What about all the pollution in the everglades from big sugar operations there? Right now, the water south of Tampa is polluted and has red tide in it right now. Mostly from runoff from Lake O. and the glades. Where is the great outcry for all of this?
Yours in the South
wjmax64

Post by wjmax64 »

2Salty wrote:
DixieReb wrote:I'm sorry yall feel that way. I guess all the woes with Fla. waters is Ga. people's fault.Never mind that they have all those illegal netboats operating there, ran by Fla. "fishermen". Do something about those and I bet you will see your fish stocks come back.
Maybe if the state of Georgia wasn't restricting the water flow through the Apalachicola River system (to provide water to metro Atlanta) the oystering industry in Apalachicola Bay wouldn't be so devastated. Inshore saltwater species of fish are highly dependent on healthy and vibrant oyster bedding.

For the sake of metro Atlanta many families and livelihoods, as well as the quality of recreational inshore saltwater fishing in the Apalachicola Bay area have been damaged.
Maybe if several years ago when the oil well was leaking & the oyster beds hadn't been raped in fear of the oil making it's way to the oyster beds, the Appalachicola oyster industry in the area wouldn't be so devastated.

One year there's too much fresh water released & the salinity drops so the oysters don't grow, the next year not enough fresh water is released & low water levels cause the sturgeon issues. Florida is just as responsible for the issues of the oyster industry as anyone in Georgia is.

I'm not a fan of anything in Atlanta but the Falcons.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

And just in case you didn't catch it, my dig at you Georgia guys was pure fun only
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

galantnole wrote:And just in case you didn't catch it, my dig at you Georgia guys was pure fun only
We just considered the source ... cracker boy! :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

2Salty wrote:

You do know that it is the Feds that control water release right?
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

DixieReb wrote:...What about all the pollution in the everglades from big sugar operations there? Right now, the water south of Tampa is polluted and has red tide in it right now. Mostly from runoff from Lake O. and the glades. Where is the great outcry for all of this?
Anyone who's been closely following the situation regarding L. Okeechobee knows there's been a tremendous amount of "great outcry" over this environmental catastrophe. (And know that it is other detrimental types of algae, not red tide, which is the consequence.)

"A fever pitch of frustration resulted in scores of new advocacy groups, petitions, rallies and protests. Following the heaviest rains ever recorded for the month of January — 10 or more inches above the average 2 inches, in many places — releases from the lake into the St. Lucie and Caloosahatchee rivers began in February."

"But the pressure from his constituents led State Sen. Joe Negron of Stuart — the place in Martin County perhaps hit hardest by the inches-thick “guacamole algae,” as some call it — to propose a state and federal buyout of 60,000 acres in the lake’s traditional southern flow way."

http://fortmyers.floridaweekly.com/news ... stion.html
Last edited by 2Salty on February 4th, 2017, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.